WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) announced today that he is co-sponsoring legislation to help New Jersey’s veterans get back to work. The “VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011” combines components in the President’s American Jobs Act and additional initiatives to boost employment opportunities for veterans.
Lobbyists are storming Capitol Hill, pushing a tax holiday that would give billions of dollars in tax breaks to less than 1 percent of American businesses – and stick the other 99 percent with the bill. But of course, they can’t say that. So tax holiday advocates are using a high-powered version of the email con known as the “Nigerian scam.”
MIDDLESEX COUNTY – Tuesday’s election brought the terms of two incumbent mayors to a close.
UNION COUNTY – There were few surprises in yesterday’s local elections in Union County.
STATE – Democrats held all 26 of the seats they controlled in the state Senate and gained a 48th seat in the Assembly to keep their majority in the state Legislature.
STATE – Today, Nov. 9, at 2 p.m. eastern standard time, the federal government will conduct the first nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS). The test will last up to three and a half minutes.
SAYREVILLE — Authorities are actively investigating the death of a 28-year-old Edison man whose body was found in Sayreville, Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce J. Kaplan and Chief John Zebrowski of the Sayreville Police Department announced today.
STATE – A Superior Court judge ordered the return of possessions seized from Occupy Trenton protesters at the city’s World War II Memorial last month.
STATE – Only about three weeks remain for families, individuals and businesses in New Jersey to register for federal assistance for damage suffered from Hurricane Irene.
LINDEN – A police chase that injured an officer and went through Linden and Roselle ended when the suspect’s car hit another vehicle and went airborne before landing on its roof and striking a house on the 1000 block of Seib Avenue in Elizabeth Saturday, authorities said.