The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates said the second presidential debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden will take place virtually.
The commission said the debate will take the form of a town meeting, with the candidates participating from separate, remote locations.
The change is a consequence from the president’s diagnosis of COVID-19.
Trump, who checked himself out of the hospital despite the fact that he has the coronavirus, says he will not participate in next week’s presidential debate in the newly announced virtual debate format.
Trump said in a Fox Business interview that that arrangement is “not acceptable to us.”
“Vice President Biden looks forward to speaking directly to the American people and comparing his plan for bringing the country together and building back better with Donald Trump’s failed leadership on the coronavirus that has thrown the strong economy he inherited into the worst downturn since the Great Depression,” said Kate Bedingfield.
The commission announced that the Oct. 15 presidential debate format would be changed to protect the health of those involved.
“I’m not going to do a virtual debate,” Trump, who was diagnosed last week with the novel coronavirus, said in an interview on Fox Business, claiming that the Commission on Presidential Debates is “trying to protect” Democratic nominee Joe Biden.
Trump has potentially infected more than a dozen people in the White House and his political inner circle.
The drug addled president received experimental treatment from doctors at Walter Reed Medical Center but more than 210,000 Americans have died from the disease and it may still prove fatal for Trump.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!