Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) police department employees collected an average of $34,662 in overtime during 2016, up from $29,931 the year before, according to payroll data recently added to SeeThroughNY, the Empire Center’s transparency website.
The data, detailing the $785 million paid last year to the authority’s 8,017 employees, also show:
- Three police department employees were paid more than $300,000, with one (Andrew Kurpat) collecting $200,233 in overtime. Only the authority’s chief operating officer, Stephanie Dawson, was paid more ($346,875).
- The police department’s 1,693 employees were paid an average of $131,265, down slightly from 2015 when 1,649 employees were paid an average of $131,567.
- Eighty-six police department employees more than doubled their base pay with overtime last year. A total of 198 police department employees were paid more than $200,000 during 2016, up from 170 during 2015.
The Empire Center, based in Albany, is an independent, non-partisan, not-for-profit think tank dedicated to promoting policies to make New York a better place to live, work and do business.
Last year, the Empire Center reported that the average pay of Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) employees was $100,253 during 2015, up from $97,673 in 2014.
Thirty-six employees were paid more than $250,000. Among them, 25 worked for the Authority’s Police Department. The data also show:
- Seventy-two employees more than doubled their base pay thanks to overtime. The average PANYNJ employee was paid $14,924 in overtime, while the average PANYNJ Police Department employee collected $29,931.
- One in 10 Port Authority Police Department employees—a total of 170 out of 1,649—was paid more than $200,000.
- The Authority’s overtime champion was chief maintenance supervisor Stephen Olmo. Olmo received $186,846 in overtime for a total paycheck of $325,880, jetting him ahead of PANYNJ executive director Patrick Foye, who was paid $305,111.
A total of 8,017 employees were paid by the Port Authority for part or all of 2016. The list of those Port Authority employees with their respective salaries can be viewed here.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!