Humane Society Legislative Fund President Mike Markarian says the nation’s leading political advocacy organization for animals has endorsed state Senator Raymond Lesniak for New Jersey Governor.
“State Senator Raymond Lesniak is one of the leading animal protection advocates in any state legislature in the country,” Markarian said. “HSLF endorses Lesniak for New Jersey Governor and urges you to support him in the June 6 primary.”
Lesniak expressed gratitude to the group and appealed to voters saying, “I need your help to continue my fight to make New Jersey The Humane State.”
“Throughout his public service career, Senator Lesniak has been a champion and leader on animal protection issues,” Markarian said. “His efforts in New Jersey have also sparked similar bills and reforms in other states across the country, such as his sponsorship of legislation to ban the trade in ivory products.”
Markarian says the organization endorsements are based on candidates’ records or positions on animal issues rather than on political party or affiliation. We want you to know who among the candidates is standing up for animals and fighting against cruelty and abuse.
“Senator Lesniak has led the passage of laws to protect endangered species, companion animals, and end horse slaughter for human consumption,” Markarian said. “He is leading the fight to crack down on puppy mills, trophy hunting, shark finning, the use of elephants in traveling circuses, the confinement of breeding pigs in gestation crates, and other large-scale cruelties.”
“Raymond Lesniak is the leading champion of animal protection issues in the New Jersey Senate,” said Markarian. “Time and again he has demonstrated an ability to move important bills and secure protections for animals. We are pleased to endorse him, and urge voters to re-elect him.”
“Friend, animals only win when humane candidates do, and Senator Lesniak needs your vote on June 6,” Markarian said.
Calling him “an effective and consistent leader on a wide variety of animal protection issues,” Markarian said Lesniak has sponsored or cosponsored legislation to:
- Fight the illegal trade in tiger parts threatening their wild population, which was passed by the Senate and the Assembly, but was vetoed; (S. 945)
- Ban the slaughter of horses for human consumption and the export of horsemeat and horses for slaughter, which was signed into law; (S. 1976)
- Ban the extreme confinement of breeding pigs in small gestation crates which virtually immobilize the animals on industrial factory farms for their entire lives, passed by the Senate and the Assembly; (S. 1921)
- Ban the sale and possession of shark fins, which contributes to the cruel practice of cutting off a shark’s fin for soup, disposing of the often live shark at sea; (S. 1922)
- Increase the penalty for starvation or severe physical cruelty of an animal, passed by the Senate and the Assembly (S. 1303)
- Prohibit the practice of bear baiting, which lures bears to piles of rotting meat, jelly donuts or other human junk food to be shot at point-blank range by trophy hunters. (S. 2369)
The organization previously endorsed Lesniak for re-election to the New Jersey Senate in 2013.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!