Democrat Lisa McCormick says more evidence that revolutionary changes are required to cure government dysfunction is found in statistics from the State Police that reveal a vast majority of crimes that were reported in New Jersey’s largest municipalities were not solved by the police.
The statistics filed on a monthly basis by local police departments and assembled every year in the Uniform Crime Report, showed that 80% of the crimes that were reported in New Jersey’s 8 most recognized municipalities went unsolved.
The follow list shows municipalities with the number of reported crimes and the percentage of unsolved crimes.
- In Atlantic City, the number of reported crimes was 1,919 from which only 366 were solved which shows that 81% of the crimes went unsolved. Only 19% crimes were solved.
- In Camden, 7,244 crimes were reported from which 2,403 were solved so the percentage of unsolved crimes is 67%. The percentage of solved crimes is 33%.
- In Edison, 1,401 crimes were reported from which 486 were solved and the percentage of unsolved crimes is 65%. The percentage of solved crimes is 35%.
- In Elizabeth, the number of reported crimes was 6,582 of which 1,201 were solved and 82% went unsolved. Just 18% of reported crimes were solved.
- In Jersey City, the number of reported crimes was 5,432 of which 1,240 were solved and 77% went unsolved. Just 23% of reported crimes were solved.
- In Newark, the number of reported crimes was 7,480 of which 986 were solved and 87% went unsolved. Just 13% of reported crimes were solved.
- In Paterson, 6,890 crimes were reported from which 1,346 were solved. That leaves 80% unsolved compared with 20% of reported crimes cleared by an arrest.
- In Trenton, 4,848 crimes were reported but only 1,243 were solved, leaving the percentage of unsolved crimes at 74%. The rate of solved crimes is 26%.
- In Woodbridge, 2,215 crimes were reported and 599 were solved, leaving 73% of the crimes unsolved. compared to 27% crimes solved.
The total number of crimes that were reported statewide was 200,713 and those that were solved number only 57,365 which is 28.6% of the total, leaving unsolved 71.4% of the crimes reported in New Jersey.
In the biggest cities, 44,011 crimes were reported and just 9,870 of those were solved, a clearance rate of just 22 percent. 78 percent.
Officials failed to give the reason of why the rate of solved crimes is low and not many commented on this case.
Only 1 out of 5 reported crimes were solved last year in Atlantic City, Camden, Edison, Elizabeth, Jersey City, Newark, Paterson, Trenton, and Woodbridge.
The difference between the rate of crimes solved in urban centers and suburban communities in New Jersey’s most populous areas is not much, and even in the smaller communities outside the big cities the vast majority of crimes are also unsolved.
Of 156,702 offenses reported in the balance of the state, just 47,495 were solved, or about 30 percent. While less populated areas tend to have fewer crimes, the fact remains that 70 percent of the crimes reported outside big cities also go unsolved.
The overall crime rate is reducing since the 1990s; public safety is a big problem with which a large number of individuals are concerned after noteworthy incidents happened like mass shootings or key arrests.
All of the communities showed improved results of coping with violent crimes, compared with recent years. The vast majority of crimes reported in New Jersey’s largest municipalities go unsolved by police, according to statistics obtained from the State Police, as reflected in the chart below.
In 2014, 80 percent of the crimes reported in New Jersey’s nine most recognized municipalities went unsolved, according to statistics filed monthly by local police departments and compiled annually in the Uniform Crime Report.
Officials appeared to be at a loss to explain why such low crime clearance rates exist and few cared to comment on the trend.
A comparison of New Jersey’s most populous places reveals little difference between urban centers and suburban communities, as far as crime clearance rates.
While overall crime rates have been in decline since the 1990s, public safety tends to ebb as an issue with which many people concern themselves except after noteworthy incidents such as mass shootings or key arrests.
All of the communities examined has better results combating violent crime, with the share of unsolved offenses at 72 percent, compared to 81 percent for all illegal acts. Still those are hardly numbers that breed confidence in government.
This story was drafted October 15, 2015
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!