NEW JERSEY – It seems nearly everyone has a “New Year’s resolution,” but statistics indicate that less than a quarter of these resolutions are kept. To help keep those personal goals real, YMCA’s across the state conducted a coordinated Open House at their local facilities on January 7th providing family activities, demonstrations and healthy information to many NJ families. To learn more about your local YMCA, visit www.njymca.org.
“Creating personal change takes effort and support,” according to Krystal R. Canady, CEO, The Gateway Family YMCA. To encourage individuals and families to make their resolutions a reality, YMCAs across the state work together to promote healthy living, through work in their individual communities. The Y promise is that when people are engaged in YMCA programs and memberships, children learn what they can achieve, families spend quality time together, and we all build relationships that deepen our sense of belonging.”
Local YMCAs are a place where you can do this every day. There are many reasons to join the Y –
- Do you sit all day at your job? A sedentary lifestyle may contribute to negative health risk factors.
- Are your children spending more time inactive than active? Children should have physical activity daily. Too much TV, computers, or other electronics? Try the Y!
- Are you often tired and dragging? Movement promotes energy and good mental health.
- Do you need motivation and connection? A support system not only holds you accountable, it makes exercise more fun.
- Is your weight unhealthy? More than one-third of America is deemed overweight or obese? Eating properly and being physically engaged is important to a healthy lifestyle.
- Are you stressed? Exercise is a constructive outlet for stress; music, movement, and a social environment are stress busters!
- Feeling alone? You will be welcomed at the Y.
Because personal change can be difficult, it’s important to take steps to make sure you join a welcoming and non-threatening environment. Community resources like the YMCA offer seniors, families, and others a place to gather and support each other in a healthy social environment. The YMCA is a nonprofit and believes all should have the resources to achieve good health and wellness. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.
Make your first step to growing healthy at the YMCA! To learn more about your local Y at www.njymca.org.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!