Father dies after jumping with two kids from NJ bridge

The New Jersey State Police is investigating the circumstances surrounding the apparent suicide of John Spincken, 37, of Pequannock, who was holding his 3-year-old and 1-year-old sons when he jumped from the Wanaque Bridge on Interstate 287 yesterday evening.

On Monday, October 24, at 8:08 p.m., troopers from Totowa Station were notified that a suicidal man may have jumped from the Wanaque Bridge with his two sons after he was involved in a domestic dispute in Pequannock Township.

Local police discovered John Spincken’s unoccupied car on southbound Interstate 287 at milepost 56.4 in Wanaque Township. Wanaque Police officers were able to locate Spincken and his two children in a wooded area near the Wanaque River.

John Spincken was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:00 p.m.

Based on the preliminary investigation, detectives have determined that the father intentionally jumped with his two children. The investigation remains active and ongoing, and there is no additional information available at this time.

According to his Facebook page, Spincken was a self-employed graduate of Hawthorne High School.

Police said that they don’t have a history with the family and that the boys will be released into the custody of their mother.

Spincken was arguing with his wife and that he threatened to harm himself and his children before taking off with the boys in a vehicle, according to authorities. The wife called 911 and police used the GPS in Spincken’s cellphone to track him within a 2,000 square foot radius.

Police believe the father climbed on top of his vehicle and scaled a “suicide prevention fence” before he jumped. He and the two boys hit the embankment below.

The two children were treated by Wanaque EMS before they were taken to St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Paterson were they are being treated for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

One of the boys suffered a collapsed lung and the other boy had a spinal injury, according to Pequannock Police Captain Christopher DePuyt. They are recovering in the intensive care unit.

DePuyt called the boys’ expected recovery “a miracle.”




Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email ads@njtoday.net for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email