- 1 cup stemmed, chopped Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California figs
- 1/2 cup pitted, chopped Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- In microwave-safe bowl, combine figs, dates, raisins and rum. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Heat on high for 1-1 1/2 minutes or until steamy. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool and absorb rum.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Heat oven to 350 F. Coat 9-by-13-inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, molasses and granulated sugar. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat until creamy. On low speed, beat in eggs, one at a time, then buttermilk. Gradually add flour mixture, stopping to scrape down side of bowl as needed. Continue to beat for 1 minute, until well blended. Stir in figs, dates and raisins. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in middle of oven 35-40 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- To frost cake: in mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and butter. With electric mixer, beat until creamy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and zest. Spread on top of cake. Chill until serving.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!