Third shooting in four months leaves Rahway teen paralyzed

The city's third shooting in four months has residents on edge over public safety.

The city’s third shooting in four months has residents on edge over public safety.

RAHWAY — The city’s third shooting in four months left one city teenager paralyzed and another facing decades in prison, but police have not recovered the weapon used in any of three separate crimes.

A dispute between two 16-year-old boys shortly after midnight on Feb. 8 escalated into gunfire when one of the teenagers shot the other in his neck, according to Capt. Joseph Simonetti, a Rahway police detective.

Simonetti said the gunshot victim was transported from the 300 block of East Milton Avenue to University Hospital in Newark, where he remains paralyzed from the chest down.

Six days later, police arrested another 16-year-old male who resides in Rahway and charged him with attempted murder, aggravated assault and several weapons possession counts in connection with the Milton Avenue shooting.

The identities of the two teens is being withheld by police because they are juveniles, although the county prosecutor may charge the gunman as an adult.

City police are still investigating the shooting of a 17-year-old Rahway High School student that took place on the 600 block of Central Avenue at about 9:20 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 27.

Arriving after several 911 calls alerted them to gunshots in the area, police found the victim with a single gunshot wound in the leg. He was transported to University Hospital, where doctors operated to remove a bullet.

Simonetti said the handgun used in that assault has not been recovered and that police have not identified a suspect in the case.

A 27-year-old Newark man was shot and killed after a fight broke out in the parking lot of a Rahway go-go bar on Sunday, Nov. 10, prosecutors said.

Jorge Torres was shot outside Breathless on Hart Avenue shortly after 3 a.m., according to Mark Spivey, a spokesman for the Union County Prosecutor’s Offfice.

Spivey said investigators have yet to determine a motive for the slaying, no arrests have been made, and the firearm used to kill Torres has also not been recovered.


Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email