UNION COUNTY — The Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Union County offers the following food safety tips for holiday cooking:
- Thaw frozen turkeys in the refrigerator (3-4 days for a 15 lb. turkey)
- Stuff the turkey right before it goes in the oven.
- Cook at a minimum temperature of 325° F and use a thermometer.
- When done, the thermometer should register 165° F in the inner thigh, wing, breast, and stuffing.
- Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold.
- Refrigerate leftovers promptly.
The Cooperative Extension of Union County is supported in part by the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders. For additional food safety tips call the USDA Meat & Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854.
For information on all Union County Extension programs including 4-H youth clubs, Master Gardeners, Master Tree Stewards, and family wellness initiatives, visit ucnj.org/rce or call 908-654-9854.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!