RAHWAY — The Rahway Police Department has issued the following Halloween Safety Tips:
- Trick or Treat while it is still light out.
- Because a mask can limit or block eyesight, consider non-toxic and hypoallergenic makeup or a decorative hat as a safe alternative.
- Consider adding reflective tape or striping to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility, or carry a flashlight or glow stick.
- Think twice before using simulated knives, guns or swords. If such props must be used, be certain they do not appear authentic and are soft and flexible to prevent injury.
- Trick or treat in groups for your safety
- Parents should always accompany younger children while Trick or Treating.
- If there are no sidewalks, walk as close to the right side of the street as possible.
- Always cross at crosswalks or traffic lights, not between cars.
- Trick or Treat on well lit streets
- Teach children their home phone number and to how call 9-1-1 if they have an emergency or become lost.
- Plan and review with your children the route and behavior which is acceptable to you.
- Do not permit children to bicycle, roller-blade or skateboard in costume.
- Agree on a specific time when revelers must return home.
- Along with flashlights for all, older children and escorts should wear a wristwatch and carry cell phones.
- Remind all household drivers to remain cautious and drive slowly throughout the community.
- Parents should check all candy before allowing children to eat it!!!!
- If the candy looks tampered with, do not eat it.
The Rahway Police Department wished everyone a safe and enjoyable Halloween. For any problems that may occur, Rahway residents should call the police desk at 732-827-2200, or 9-1-1 for an emergency.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!