WOODBRIDGE – Mayor John E. McCormac and Dr. Robert Zega, superintendent of schools, along with students from Woodbridge and John F. Kennedy Memorial High Schools, today reminded Woodbridge Township voters going to the polls to vote in the Nov. 5 General Election to “Cast-A-Can-When-You-Cast-Your-Vote” by donating canned goods and non-perishable food items at all Township polling
According to McCormac, students from Woodbridge and JFK High Schools coordinate the Election Day food drive with the Board of Elections and Town Hall by placing drop-off containers at every polling location throughout the Township. After the polls close, the students collect the containers and take the food to the Township Health Center where it is sorted and distributed to food pantries.
The “We Feed Woodbridge” Food Bank Committee has collected more than 100,000 pounds of food so far this year as a result of the February “Have-A-Heart” food drive campaign, the Primary Election Day “Cast-A-Can” food drive, the Mayor’s Summer Concert Series, and other food drive efforts. The annual Barron Arts Center holiday concert and Township-wide holiday food drive collection programs will continue the effort to stock Township food pantries through the end of the year.
Woodbridge Township food banks receive the foods from the Township Health Center for distribution to Township families through the following food pantries:
- Heavens Helper’s Pantry, 343 Pearl Street, Woodbridge – 732-742-8942;
- First Presbyterian Church, 20 Middlesex Avenue, Iselin – 732-283-1188;
- Trinity Episcopal Church, Trinity Lane, Woodbridge – 732-634-7422 x4;
- Metro Park Assembly of God, 48 Berkeley Blvd., Iselin – 732-310-8758;
- First Presbyterian Church, 600 Rahway Avenue, Woodbridge – 732-634-1024;
- St. James Roman Catholic Church, 174 Grove Street, Woodbridge – 732-636-4310;
- First Presbyterian Church of Avenel, 621 E. Woodbridge Avenue – 732-634-1631;
- First Congregational Church-Women of Faith, Barron Avenue, Woodbridge – 732-634-0582;
- St. Cecelia Roman Catholic Church, 45 Wilus Way, Iselin – 732-283-0150;
- Elijah’s Bread Food Pantry, Ridgedale and E. Prospect Avenues, Woodbridge – 732-636-7727;
- Metro Park Assembly of God, Iselin – 732-310-8758;
- First Baptist Church of Sewaren, Sewaren – 732-750-9475
Food donations can be dropped off every weekday at the Woodbridge Township Public Health Center, 2 George Frederick Plaza, Woodbridge Town Hall, 1 Main Street, the Woodbridge Library, 1 George Frederick Plaza, or at the Woodbridge Community Center, 600 Main Street, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m..
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!