ELIZABETH – “Art in the Gardens,” an October celebration of National Arts and Humanities Month, will take place Columbus Day Weekend, Oct. 12, 13 and 14, at The Outlet Collection-Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth. It features instrumental, vocal and dance performances in the Center Court of the Mall.
This year, the Columbus Day Weekend Splash is planned with free performances starting on Saturday and continuing through Monday. This annual event is coordinated by the Office of Cultural and Heritage Affairs in the Union County Department of Parks & Community Renewal.
“Art in the Gardens is an excellent opportunity for a busy Union County venue to host local talent and present it to a wide and diverse audience,” said Freeholder Chairman Linda Carter. “The Board of Chosen Freeholders is proud to have this annual event in Union County.”
The weekend’s scheduled performances are:
Saturday, October 12th:
- 11:00 a.m. – Noon: Blanca Rosas of Elizabeth, singer/songwriter;
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Ligaya Cultural Group presents Philippine Folk Dance;
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Yasko & Kokonuts of Garwood, jazz performers;
- 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Kathleen McMahon of Scotch Plains celebrates Gatsby Era;
- 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Oxygen Box Band, Soul, Rock Reggae Band;
- 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.: Chinese American Music Ensemble of Westfield, chorus and individual instrumental performances.
Sunday, October 13th:
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Jefferson Arts Liberty Dancers of Elizabeth;
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Rahway Valley Jerseyaires Barbershop Chorus;
- 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Kathleen McMahon celebrating Dance Fair & Folklore;
- 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Kenny Woods of Summit, singer/songwriter.
Monday, October 14th:
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: University of Philippines Alumni & Friends Rondalla Traditional String Ensemble;
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Jill Cagney of Cranford, singer/songwriter;
- 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.: Jennifer Lynn School of Irish Dance of Union;
- 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.: United Youth of New Jersey – Elite Drill Team of Superior Drummers, Rap Performance & Theatrical Dancers of Elizabeth;
- 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.: Framework Acoustic Jazz Quartet.
The Outlet Collection-Jersey Gardens will host Art in the Gardens as one of the first events in its brand new Center Court, which was recently renovated as part of a $30 million remodel of the mall.
“We are excited to continue this fabulous celebration of the arts in Union County,” said Crystal Stell, Marketing Director for The Outlet Collection. “We are continually impressed by the local talent right here in our own backyard.”
“Our goal is to raise awareness of the arts in Union County and the many artists who deserve recognition for their achievements. Our shoppers come from all over the tri-state area and beyond; this is an opportunity to showcase our local talent,” Ms. Stell said.
The Outlet Collection-Jersey Gardens is located on Kapkowski Road at Exit 13A of the New Jersey Turnpike and features 200 stores all under one roof.
For more information about “Art in the Gardens,” contact the Union County Office of Cultural and Heritage Affairs at 633 Pearl Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07202. Telephone (908) 558-2550. New Jersey Relay Users dial 711. E-mail: email@example.com.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!