STATE- New Jersey officials today partnered with representatives from The Home Depot at a store location in Toms River to continue providing New Jersey residents with generator safety tips following Superstorm Sandy. New Jersey Department of Health Commissioner Mary O’Dowd joined Acting Director and State Fire Marshal William Kramer for a generator safety demonstration, which included basic safety measures and tips on following manufacturers’ guidelines.
“In the two weeks following Sandy, 398 patients were treated for carbon monoxide (CO) exposure in New Jersey hospital emergency rooms, while only 14 patients were treated for exposure in the two weeks prior to the storm,” said O’Dowd. “CO poisoning is called the ‘silent killer,’ because it is a gas that gives no warning – you can’t see it, smell it or taste it. However, exposure to carbon monoxide from generators is preventable, and I strongly suggest everyone learn the basics of generator safety. I thank The Home Depot for partnering with us for today’s demonstration.”
Exposure to CO can produce headaches, sleepiness, fatigue, confusion and irritability at low levels. At higher levels, it can result in nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, impaired vision and coordination, and death. All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning. Certain groups – infants and individuals with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems – are more susceptible to its effects according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This year, The Home Depot hosted Hurricane Preparedness Workshops in 700 of its stores along the East and Gulf Coasts, including all 67 of its stores in New Jersey. The workshops focused on generator safety, generator sizing and building a disaster preparedness kit to help residents better prepare for the event of a storm.
“Our communities count on us as a major partner in both storm prep and disaster recovery,” says Eric MacDonald, district manager for The Home Depot. “Safety is in an important factor both during and after a storm. Our Hurricane Preparedness Workshops are just one way we work to equip our communities with the knowledge and tools they need to stay safe.”
Between October 28 and December 27, 2012, the New Jersey Poison Information and Education System (NJPIES) received 448 calls related to Superstorm Sandy. Of these calls, 324 were related to exposure to CO or contact with possibly toxic substances. Nationally, 81 people die each year due to CO poisoning from the use of a generator. In New Jersey, 5 people died from CO poisoning due to the improper use of generators after Superstorm Sandy.
The New Jersey Department of Health is awarding NJPIES $400,000 over the next two years in Social Services Block Grant funding from the U.S Department of Health and Human Services. The funding will allow NJPIES to continue 24/7 availability of and access to poison intervention specialists via telephone. The grant will also fund the creation of storm-related educational materials and training sessions with local health departments on environmental health hazards – including CO poisoning. The training will be available statewide, but with a focus on coastal and northern counties hardest hit by Sandy.
“The New Jersey Poison Information and Education System is very grateful to the New Jersey Department of Health for providing us with the opportunity to cooperate in these efforts to increase public awareness of the dangers associated with natural disasters. These funds will allow us to increase our public outreach and prevention efforts regarding carbon monoxide exposures and poisonings,” said Steven Marcus, MD, Executive and Medical Director, NJPIES.
“While portable generators can be very helpful during outages, it is imperative that the public follow safety guidelines when using one,” said Acting Director and State Fire Marshall William Kramer. “Running generators within a basement, garage or any enclosed or partially-enclosed structure will lead to a dangerous – and often fatal – accumulation of carbon monoxide. Because the gas is odorless and colorless, its effects are not recognized and people will fall asleep or not wake up. When this happens, it is usually too late for them to survive.”
The following safety tips should be followed when using generators:
- Never run a generator within a basement, garage or any enclosed or partially enclosed structure as this will lead to a dangerous and often fatal accumulation of carbon monoxide;
- Never position a generator too close to your home’s windows and doors;
- Use battery-operated carbon monoxide alarms. Test and change the batteries at regular intervals;
- Never connect a generator directly to your home’s wiring unless your home has been wired for generator use. This can cause backfeeding along power lines and electrocute anyone coming in contact with them, including lineworkers making repairs;
- Always plug appliances directly into generators;
- Use heavy-duty, outdoor-rated extension cords. Make sure extension cords are free of cuts or tears and the plug has three prongs;
- Ensure your generator is properly grounded;
- Never overload a generator. A portable generator should only be used when necessary to power essential equipment or appliances;
- Turn off all equipment powered by the generator before shutting it down;
- Keep the generator dry. Operate it on a dry surface under an open structure;
- Always have a fully charged fire extinguisher nearby;
- Store gasoline for generator use in a safe and secure location;
- Never fuel a generator while it is operating and wait until it is cool to the touch; and
- Read and adhere to the manufacturer’s instructions for safe operation. Never cut corners when it comes to safety.
If you are using a generator and suspect CO poisoning take immediate action including:
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if a person is not breathing, is unconscious or unresponsive, or having seizures or convulsions;
- Exit the home/building/enclosed space immediately;
- Contact your local fire department; and
- From a safe area, call the NJ Poison Experts at 800-222-1222, for immediate treatment advice.
For more information on generator safety, visit: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/co/generator.shtm
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!