NEW BRUNSWICK – The Communications Workers of America (CWA) Local 1082 has announced its endorsements of county candidates for New Jersey’s 2013 general election in November.
“Collective Bargaining rights are under attack in this country as well as this state like never before in our great history,” said Alberto Hernández, president of the Communications Workers of America Local 1082, “A strategic division between public and private unions, devised by ultra conservatives, has allowed anti-union legislators to chip away at decades of progress in raising the quality of life for working class families,” Hernández said, “We stand with Progressives who value the positive role of organized labor.”
In addition to endorsing candidates within Middlesex County, CWA Local 1082 announced endorsements in the Special Senate and
Gubernatorial elections. As a State Senator Barbara Buono was one of the legislators CWA has dubbed “The Sweet Sixteen,” Hernández said, “Senator Buono risked her political career to go against the political bosses who chose to blame public employees, especially those in unions, for the state’s fiscal problems by voting against stripping them of Collective Bargaining rights for pensions and benefits.”
The endorsed candidates made it clear that they support protecting Collective Bargaining and Civil Service rules. “ALEC style legislation has attempted to reverse a century of progress in this great country,” said Hernández, “We will continue to support candidates that support progress and oppose a race to the bottom. We thank all of the candidates that sought our endorsement, including three Republicans, even when honestly advising us of opposing Collective Bargaining rights.”
CWA Local 1082 only endorses candidates that support protecting Collective Bargaining, Civil Service rules, and/or completed its candidate survey.
The organization’s 2013 endorsed candidates are:
- US Senate Cory Booker
- Governor Barbara Buono; Lt. Governor: Milly Silva
- District 12 Senate: Raymond Dothard; Assembly: Lawrence Furman & Nicholas Nellegar
- District 14 Senate: Linda Greenstein; Assembly: Dan Benson & Wayne DeAngelo
- District 16 Senate: Christian Mastondrea; Assembly: Marie Corfield & Ida Ochoteco
- District 17 Senate: Bob Smith; Assembly: Upendra Chivukula & Joseph Egan
- District 18 Senate: Peter Barnes, III; Assembly: Patrick Diegnan, Jr & Nancy Pinkin
- District 19 Senate: Joe Vitale; Assembly: Craig Coughlin & John Wisniewski
- District 22 Senate: Nick Scutari; Assembly: Jerry Green & Linda Stender
- Sheriff Mildred Scott
- Freeholder Kenneth Armwood, Charles Kenny, & Blanquita Valenti
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!