METUCHEN – An 800-gallon fuel spill Tuesday night forced the evacuation of approximately 20 homes on Central Avenue in Metuchen, according to a Star-Ledger report.
The fuel spill happened at the Citco station at 209 Central Avenue when a safety valve malfunctioned as a tanker truck was dispensing fuel there, according to the report. The Metuchen Fire Department and Middlesex County Hazmat responded to the scene to contain the spill, which extended into the street, sewers, and a creek that feeds Dismal Swamp.
Residents were allowed to return to their homes about two hours after being evacuated, according to the report.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!