TRENTON – NJDOT officials today reminded area motorists and businesses that all Route 1 traffic in Edison will need to be diverted around a construction zone this weekend, starting at 9 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 16, and continuing until 5 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 19, to accommodate work to replace a freight rail grade-crossing.
The section of Route 1 that will be closed to traffic extends from Forest Haven Boulevard to Prince Street, a distance of 0.4 miles. Detours for northbound and southbound motorists will provide access to all businesses and other destinations on either side of the construction zone, but motorists should plan alternate routes if possible and expect delays along the posted detour routes.
In the event of rain, the project will be postponed to the following weekend.
The grade-crossing spans all travel lanes on Route 1 northbound and southbound at a location north of Old Post Road and south of Middlesex County Route 531 (Main Street), or approximately 0.7 miles south of the interchange of Route 1 and Interstate 287.
The project will be performed by a contractor hired by Conrail/Norfolk Southern, which owns the railroad. The grade-crossing has deteriorated over time and is being replaced to ensure safe passage for freight trains that serve area businesses. The project includes removing and replacing the track bed and rails. Pre-cast concrete boxes with slots for the rails will be placed side-by-side across Route 1 to form the new grade-crossing that should accommodate trains and cars in a safe manner for 25 years. Approximately ten trains use the grade-crossing each week.
DOT officials carefully reviewed the project before concluding there is no feasible way to perform the work in a manner that maintains even limited opportunities for motorists to travel through the construction zone.
DOT will post detour signs for both northbound and southbound motorists and will closely monitor traffic conditions. More than two dozen permanent and portable variable message signs (VMS) are being utilized on Routes 1, 1&9, 440 and Interstate 287 to provide notification of the closure and detours. Opportunities will be available for motorists to safely turn around near the construction zone if their destination is located between the posted detour and the closed section of the highway, or if they inadvertently miss the detour.
Conrail/Norfolk Southern will hire Edison police officers to help manage traffic during the project and DOT Safety Service Patrol vehicles will be ready to assist motorists and clear travel lanes in the event of breakdowns or other incidents.
DOT representatives have reached out to local businesses to make sure they are aware of the project and hand-delivered copies of maps that show the detours that their customers can use to reach them.
Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information.
- Route 1 northbound motorists whose destination is north of the road closure (through traffic) will be directed to exit Route 1 at County Route 514 (Woodbridge Avenue) and proceed north to I-287 northbound to a ramp that returns them to Route 1 northbound.
- Route 1 northbound motorists will be offered an additional detour at the second (northern) intersection with Old Post Road. Motorists can either go left on Old Post Road to Vineyard Road to Route 27 to I-287 back to Route 1, or right onto Old Post Road to CR 514.
- Route 1 northbound motorists whose destination is located between Woodbridge Avenue and the road closure (local traffic) will proceed on Route 1 northbound to their destination. The signalized intersection at Forest Haven Boulevard, adjacent to the construction zone, will allow motorists to safely turn around and proceed south on Route 1.
- Route 1 southbound motorists whose destination is south of the road closure (through traffic) will be directed to take I-287 southbound to County Route 514 southbound (Woodbridge Avenue) to Route 1 southbound.
- Route 1 southbound motorists will be offered an additional detour that will enable them to access businesses on the southbound side of Route 1 or to continue their trip on Route 1 southbound. This detour will direct Route 1 southbound motorists to take I-287 northbound to Exit 2B, the ramp that takes them to the signalized intersection at Route 27 and Vineyard Road. Motorists will be directed to proceed on Vineyard Road to Old Post Road, where they will be able to turn right or left to reach signalized intersections at Route 1.
- Route 1 southbound motorists whose destination is located between I-287 and the road closure (local traffic) will proceed south on Route 1 to their destination. They will have the opportunity to turn around at Prince Street to head north on Route 1. They also will have the opportunity to take County Route 531 southbound (Main Street) to destinations between Route 1 and Woodbridge Avenue.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!