STATE — Parents of children with Tourette Syndrome are invited to attend support group meetings hosted by the Tourette Syndrome Association of New Jersey in collaboration with the New Jersey Center for Tourette Syndrome & Associated Disorders (NJCTS). Support groups are designed to provide face-to-face encouragement for TS families through focusing on coping strategies.
Living with Tourette Syndrome – an inherited, misdiagnosed, misunderstood neurological disorder that affects 1 in 100 children – often is complicated, but support groups can be a big help and are in place at five regional locations throughout New Jersey to aid parents who are seeking connection and common ground with the many others in the same situation.
“Parents of children with Tourette Syndrome often tell our staff they wish they knew other families with Tourette Syndrome in their area,” said Leanne Loewenthal, NJCTS’ Family Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator. “NJCTS is excited to provide parents an evening to connect with families in their neighborhood and share the successes and challenges of raising a child with TS.”
Beginning Sept. 12, and running on a bi-monthly basis through at least Spring 2014, support groups will meet in Morris/Sussex county, Middlesex County, Somerset County, Atlantic County and Burlington County. The schedule for these support groups is as follows, but is subject to change:
- Morris/Sussex County: 7 to 8:30 p.m. September 12, November 7, January 2, March 13 and May 8 at St. Clare’s Hospital, 25 Pocono Road in Denville.
- Middlesex County: 7:30 to 9 p.m. September 12, November 14, January 9, March 13 and May 8 at JFK Medical Center’s Neuroscience Institute Library, 65 James Street in Edison.
- Somerset County: 7 to 8:30 p.m. September 23, November 18, January 27, March 24 and May 19 at Somerset Medical Center’s Hamilton Conference Room, 110 Rehill Avenue in Somerville.
- Atlantic County: 7 to 8 p.m. October 3, December 5, February 6, April 3 and June 5 at the Richard Stockton College Campus Center, Room 2, 101 Vera King Farris Drive in Galloway.
- Burlington County: 7:30 to 9 p.m. October 28, December 23, February 24, April 28 and June 23 at the Virtua Marlton Scarborough Room, 90 Brick Road in Marlton.
For more information about these support groups, or to request a support group in another New Jersey county, contact Leanne Loewenthal at 908-575-7350 or LLoewenthal@njcts.org. As a support group date approaches, check www.njcts.org for updates on if the group still will take place on that date.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!