UNION COUNTY – Income-eligible senior adults can obtain free vouchers to purchase “Jersey Fresh” fruits, vegetables and herbs at local Farmers’ Markets in Union County.
“This popular program supports local agriculture while helping to provide seniors on a budget with the opportunity to try a wide variety of fresh, nutritious produce, and Union County is very proud to support it,” said Freeholder Chairman Linda Carter.
The vouchers are funded by the State of New Jersey 2013 Farmers’ Market Program, through the Union County Division on Aging and Disability Resource Connection in the Department of Human Services. Each eligible senior will receive four vouchers worth $5 each, for a total of $20.
The program was designed in four increments to enable seniors to purchase produce in smaller amounts, helping to ensure freshness.
To be eligible for the vouchers, an individual must be a resident of Union County, age 60 years or older, and have an annual income not exceeding $21,257.
For a married couple, the annual income cannot exceed $28,694.
To apply for the vouchers, fill out an advance registration form available at any local Senior Nutrition site or Senior Center after June 14.
The vouchers will be distributed at the sites listed below. To pick up your vouchers, you must present proof of income such as a Medicaid card, SSI card, Food Stamp (now SNAP program) verification, or annual pension and Social Security statement.
At some of the sites as noted, a Farmers’ Market vendor will be present and produce will be available for purchase with vouchers or with cash.
- Tuesday, June 18 from 9:30 am to 11:30 am – Liberty Square Senior Center, 240 Elizabeth Avenue, Elizabeth
- Thursday, June 20 from 9:30 am to 11:30 am – Peterstown Senior Center, 418-34 Palmer Street, Elizabeth
- Monday, June 24 from 9:30 am to 11:30 am – Stephen Sampson Senior Center, 800 Anna Street, Elizabeth
- Tuesday, June 25 from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon – Ford Leonard Apartments, 69 Division Street, Elizabeth
- Monday, July 8 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am – O’Donnell-Dempsey Senior Center, 622 Salem Avenue, Elizabeth (farmer will be present)
- Wednesday, July 10 from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm – Casano Community Center, 314 Chestnut Street, Roselle Park (farmer will be present at the Gazebo, Chestnut Street and East Grand Avenue)
- Monday, July 15 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am – Ann Ferguson Towers, 1601 Dill Avenue, Linden (farmer will be present)
- Tuesday, July 16 from 9:30 am to 11:30 am – Hillside Senior Center, 265 Hollywood Avenue, Hillside
- Thursday, July 18 from 9:30 am to 11:30 am – Westfield Senior Center, 558 W. Broad Street, Westfield
- Wednesday, July 24 from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon – Plainfield Senior Center, 400 E. Front Street, Plainfield (farmer will be present)
- Monday, July 29 from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon – Pinewood Hall, 250 W. 2nd Avenue, Roselle (farmer will be present)
- Wednesday, July 31 from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon – Golden Age Towers, 200 E. Milton Street, Rahway (farmer will be present)
The Farmers’ Market Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and coordinated by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services.
For more information about the Farmers’ Market voucher program, contact Kathleen Malkiewicz, 908-527-4877. For information on other Union County senior nutrition programs and all senior services, call the Union County Division on Aging toll free at 1-888-280-8226 or visit online at ucnj.org.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!