CLARK – More than 100 seniors were honored Monday, June 3, at the Arthur L. Johnson High School Athletic Department’s 2013 Senior Athletic Awards. The evening, sponsored by the Crusader Athletic Booster Club, was held at the Westwood in Garwood.
All the senior student athletes, their teams, and their seasons were highlighted by their coaches, who presented each senior with a Booster Club Achievement Plaque that recognizes all of the sports programs that they participated in throughout their high school careers.
More than two dozen seniors who will be continuing their athletic careers in college were acknowledged. They are:
- Lauren Adamusik (C.W. Post – Field Hockey)
- Justin Barbosa (FDU – Soccer)
- Ryan Barron (Kutztown – Football)
- Stephanie Budrock (Goucher College – Soccer)
- Jamie Cheeka (Rowan – Soccer)
- Austin Colish (Desales University – Lacrosse)
- Cristina DeCristofaro (NJIT – Track and Field)
- Matt Dunn (Immaculata – Soccer)
- Alison Dugan (Penn State – Trying Out for Cheerleading Competition Team)
- Jamie Horvath (Montclair State – Cheerleading)
- Alec Kellish (Nazareth College – Lacrosse)
- Carly Koppel (Ryder University – Cheerleading)
- Sean Myers (Gwen and Mercy College – Lacrosse)
- Eddie Olenick (Kutztown – Football)
- Anthony Pacheco (Stevens Institute of Technology – Swimming)
- Lance Pecina (Stockton – Lacrosse)
- Kyle Pender (Belmont Abbey – Baseball)
- Christopher Purcell (Montclair State – Track & Field)
- Erin Roach (William Paterson – Volleyball)
- Katie Sanchez (Rowan – Soccer)
- John Stauffer (Montclair State – Baseball)
- Nicholas Stolarz (Goucher College – Soccer)
- Samantha Rodrigues (Stockton – Soccer)
- Anthony Travisano (East Coast Prep – Football)
- Jessica Vaccaro (East Carolina University – Cross Country)
- Nicholas Venditto (Worcester Polytechnical Institute – Swimming)
- Andrew Zub (Kings College – Football)
Ali Dugan, Jessica Sandler, John Stauffer and Andrew Zub were presented with the Frank J. Cicarell Memorial Scholarship. Cicarell was most remembered for was his impact on the student athletes, as he was the driving force that made athletics in Union County what they are today. Union County tournaments are still named after him to this day.
Future Booster Club President Scott Bohm presented the ALJ Booster Club Outstanding Athlete Awards to Bianca Briscese and Ed Olenick, and Book Scholarships to Stephanie Budrock and Matthew Dunn.
Finally, former Athletic Director of Arthur L. Johnson High School, Carl Peterson, presented the Thomas Santaguida Sportsmanship Scholarship to Jamie Cheeka and Chris Purcell. The Booster Club recognizes Santaguida for all his efforts and professionalism while serving as the Athletic Director at ALJ for six years. In his memory, the ALJ Booster Club annually awards scholarships to students who exhibit the qualities that Santaguida was so well known for. The recipients always treated teammates with respect, they won and lost with dignity, they respected the judgment of officials, and accepted seriously the responsibility and privilege of representing Arthur L. Johnson and the community of Clark.
“The Senior Sports Awards was a wonderful event that allowed the administration, teachers, coaches, parents, and student athletes a chance to reflect on a wonderful four years competing as an Arthur L. Johnson High School Crusader while honoring our senior student athletes for their remarkable accomplishments,” said Gus Kalikas, Supervisor of Athletics, Health, and Physical Education. “Although the contributions from this senior class were great and will be missed, we look forward to seeing what they can accomplish in college over the next four years.”
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!