EDISON – Police investigating recent bomb threats directed towards Edison High School arrested a 16-year-old suspect and charged him with possession of explosive devices this week, but do not believe he is connected to the threats, authorities said Monday.
“I am extremely pleased with the efforts of our detectives in making this arrest. Through their dedication and hard work a possible tragedy was thwarted,” said Edison Police Chief Thomas Bryan. “In addition, these detectives will continue their tenacious investigation into the recent bomb threats to accomplish a similar end.”
During the course of the investigation headed by Detective Sean Forker, police followed up on information that led to the juvenile suspect. Upon receiving consent from an adult, detectives searched a Harmon Road residence on Sunday evening and located fireworks, shotgun shells, and a few makeshift devices containing gunpowder and fuses. The items were deemed safe and collected by Edison Police Evidence Technicians without incident.
Police interviewed the juvenile suspect, who was accompanied by an adult, at Edison Police Headquarters on Monday morning and charged him with possession of explosive devices. The suspect was released to a family member pending disposition of the case.
The investigation into the original bomb threats directed towards Edison High School earlier this month continues, authorities said.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!