Assembly Passes Bill To Help Some Military Spouses Find Work

TRENTON – The Assembly on Monday approved legislation that would allow nonresident military spouses to seek temporary licensure from certain professional and occupations licensing boards upon moving to New Jersey.

The bill (A-3427) would provide a “nonresident military spouse” an opportunity to seek a one-year temporary licensure with option to apply for an extension at the end of the year. Under the bill, a “nonresident military spouse” is defined as a spouse of an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces who has been transferred to the state or has moved to the state on a permanent change-of-station basis. Nine states have passed and signed into law similar legislation.

“Finding work in this economy is hard enough. Doing so in a new state makes the process that much more difficult,” said Assemblyman John Wisniewski (D-Middlesex), a sponsor of the bill. “Relocating at a moment’s notice is just one of the many sacrifices that our military families make for our country. The least we can do is make the job hunt easier so they can provide for their families as they settle into their new homes.”

A nonresident military spouse qualifies for temporary licensure, under the bill, if they meet the following requirements: currently holds a license to practice in another jurisdiction or state, was actively engaged in their practice, holds a clean professional record as per criminal background and review of credentials; remits fee for issuance of licensing; and complies with any other requirements of the licensure board.

The bill was approved 74-0 by the Assembly and now heads to the Senate for further consideration.

Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email