ROSELLE PARK – On Saturday Jan. 19, nine local pizzerias from Roselle Park, Kenilworth, and Union participated in the “Best Pie Around” contest hosted by the Knights of Columbus, Msgr Loreti Council #3240. Over 200 people came out to taste the pizzas and vote for their favorite one. Costa’s Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria from Roselle Park won in a close vote, receiving the Knight’s “2013 Best Pizza Champion” plaque.
Adults and children packed Msgr Loreti parish hall from 6:30 – 8 p.m. enjoying the opportunity to eat and compare different pizzas during the sold-out fundraiser. Roselle Park Mayor Joseph Accardi and his wife joined in the festivities and Councilman-At-Large Carl Hokanson served pizza for Costa’s.
Many had arrived with favorites but found it fun to try pizzas from places they’d never visited. It turned out to be a close contest – Mimi’s Pizza and Tony’s Pizza Delight – tied for second place and the winner – Costa’s Pizzeria – took the title by just one vote.
Leona Seufert says, “Great evening meeting friends, talking to neighbors and comparing pizza with everyone. Choosing the winner was an example of democracy at work!”
Master of Ceremonies, Bryan Peterson of the Knights of Columbus, who coordinated the event said, “This looks to be quite a social event for not just the parish but the entire town of Roselle Park, and we hope to make it become a yearly one at that.”
Peterson said the inspiration for this event came from “Many years ago I had the pleasure of attending a very similar event and it was a lot of fun where the pizza owners and the patrons really enjoyed themselves. It is no secret that we have a lot of pizza places in and around Roselle Park. When talking about ordering pizza for any Knights of Columbus event it immediately would spark a discussion on who likes whose pizza better. So, it was always in the back of our minds to host a Pizza Tasting Competition.”
The following pizza places took part in this event:
- Bellisima Pizza, 547 West Westfield Avenue, Roselle Park, (908) 245-9003
- Costa’s Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria, 120 Chestnut Street, Roselle Park, (908) 241-1131
- Fresca Pizza & Deli, 405 West Westifield Avenue, Roselle Park, (908) 259-5445
- Michael’s Pizza, 211 East Westfield Avenue, Roselle Park, (908) 445-8317
- Mimi’s Pizza, 357 West Clay Avenue, Roselle Park, (908) 245-9696
- Pizza Stop, 290 South Michigan Avenue, Kenilworth, (908) 245-6262
- Sun Tavern, 600 West Westfield Avenue, Roselle Park, (908) 241-0190
- Tony’s Pizza Delight, 1331 Magie Avenue, Union, (908) 820-0992
- Valentino’s, East Westfield Avenue, Roselle Park, (908) 245-7555
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!