CRANFORD – The Cranford Dramatic Club (CDC) Community Theatre will hold auditions for its production of Meredith Willson’s The Music Man next month.
The auditions will be held at The Cranford Dramatic Club Community Theatre,
78 Winans Avenue, Cranford on Saturday, Feb. 9 and Sunday, Feb. 10, at 1 p.m. each day. Callbacks will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m., if needed. Children auditioning for the roles of Winthrop or Amryllis should attend the Feb. 9 audition.
Bring sheet music and come prepared to sing 16 bars of an upbeat show tune. - There will be a dance/movement audition, so dress comfortably. Readings for speaking roles will be done from sides from the script, to be provided at the audition.
Performance dates are Fridays and Saturdays: May 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, May 12 at 2 p.m. Rehearsals begin Sunday, Feb. 24 and will be held Sundays at 2 p.m. and Mondays, Wednesdays and/or Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., with a schedule to be determined.
About The Show
Con man Harold Hill arrives at staid River City intending to cheat the community with his standard scam of offering to equip and train a boy’s marching band, then skip town with the money since he has no real music skills. Things go awry when he falls for a librarian he tries to divert from exposing him while he inadvertently enriches the town with a love of music.
- Harold Hill: Male, 30’s to 40’s – Charismatic, charming, attractive, a dynamic con man. Baritone (A Flat –High F)
- Marion Paroo: Female, Late 20’s to 30’s – Stuffy, Confident and stubborn. “Stuck up” town librarian and music teacher, moves well. Leading Lady, soprano. (Low G – High A)
- Marcellus Washburn: Male, 30’s to 40’s – Harold Hill’s best friend, energetic comic actor, likeable and infectious, must sing and move very well, tenor. (G – High A)
- Charlie Cowell: Male, 30’s to 40’s – Con-man, Non-singing.
- Mayor Shinn: Male, Late 40’s to 50’s – Mayor of River City, blustery politician, strong physical presence and comic timing. Non-singing.
- Eulalie Mackecknie Shinn: Female, 40’s to 50’s – the Mayor’s wife, large personality and strong comic timing and physical presence. Moves well, alto. (D – High D)
- Mrs. Paroo: Female, 50’s to 60’s. Mother to Marion and Winthrop, capable of Irish brogue. Mezzo
- soprano. (A Flat – E Flat)
- Winthrop Paroo: Male, Young (8 to 10). Shy son to Mrs. Paroo/brother to Marion, capable of lisp. Alto (C – E Flat)
- Amryllis: Female, Young (8 to 10). Marian’s young piano student. Alto (C – E)
- Tommy Djilas: DANCER, Male, late teens to early 20’s to play mid to late teens. Handsome, teen heartthrob, the town bad boy. Non-singing
- Zaneeta Shinn: DANCER, Female, late teens to early 20’s to play mid to late teens. Mayor’s teen daughter and love interest to Tommy. Non-singing
- Quartet: Four men, 30’s to 60’s, to play members of barber shop quartet. Strong singers capable of holding four part harmony.
- Ensemble: Adults, teens and kids to play townspeople, traveling salesmen, teen dancers, “Pick-A-Little” Ladies, boys’ band.
The Music Man is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI).