Disaster Recovery Contact Information

For urgent and immediate health and safety issues:

Call 911.

For non-immediate health matters or other assistance:

Call 211 or go online at www.nj211.org for help with non-emergency issues, including basic human needs, support for seniors or persons with disabilities, children, or mental health issues.

To file a claim with FEMA:

Call 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362). Make sure you register with FEMA. A printable form is here:

To report a downed electrical line:

Contact your local energy provider (info below). Be prepared to give the nearest cross street or the number of a nearby pole that has not been damaged and is away from any downed wires; the pole number can be found on the metal tag attached to the pole.

  • PSE&G:1-800-436-7734
  • Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L): 1-800-662-3115
  • Atlantic City Electric:1-800-642-3780
  • Orange Rockland Electric: 1-877-434-4100

To report a gas leak:

Contact your local gas provider.

  • Elizabethtown Gas: 1-800-492-4009
  • New Jersey Natural Gas: 1-800-427-5325
  • PSE&G: 1-800-436-7734
  • South Jersey Gas: 1-800-582-7060

To file an insurance claim, if you can’t find the company or agent’s number:

Call the NJ Department of Banking and Insurance at 1-800-446-7467 or go to www.dobi.nj.gov.

To report complaints about insurance companies:

Call the NJ Department of Banking and Insurance at 1-800-446-7467 or go to

A printable complaint form is here: http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/complain.pdf

To report complaints about electric or gas utilities:

Call the NJ Board of Public Utilities: 1-800-624-0241 or 1-609-341-9188.

To report possible consumer fraud or price gouging by contractors or others:

State law makes excessive price increases illegal during a state of emergency, and for 30 days following the end of the emergency. Call the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs at 1-862-209-0130 or 1-973-220-3474.

To provide volunteer assistance in the cleanup and restoration effort:

Call 1-800-JERSEY-7 (1-800-537-7397). Backup numbers: 1-609-775-5236 or 1-908-303-0471. Volunteers may also send an email to rowena.madden@sos.state.nj.us. This service is managed by the NJ Business Action Center and the Governor’s Office of Volunteerism, both divisions within the NJ Department of State.

To request volunteer assistance:

Call 211 or go online at www.nj211.org.

Extension of motor vehicle document deadlines:

To ease the burden on customers who did not have a chance to visit a motor vehicle office in October, MVC Chairman and Chief Administrator Raymond P. Martinez has issued Administrative Order 2012-03 authorizing a 30-day extension for all driver’s licenses, vehicle registrations and vehicle inspection stickers that expired on October 31.

The order is here: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/About/Admin_Order_2012_03.pdf

(Information provided courtesy of Assemblyman Jon Bramnick)

Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email ads@njtoday.net for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email