MIDDLESEX COUNTY – Middlesex County Freeholder Director Christopher D. Rafano declared a State of Emergency for the county effective 5 p.m. Sunday evening as Hurricane Sandy continues its path toward New Jersey.
“Declaring a State of Emergency gives the County Office of Emergency Management the ability to implement emergency plans and protocols, allows us to limit travel within the county if necessary, enables us to implement protective measures, including evacuation orders, to ensure the safety of our residents, and allows the county to make emergency purchases if resources are needed.”
Rafano’s declaration follows Gov. Chris Christie’s order for a statewide State of Emergency.
Rafano said: “This is in the best interest of all our residents, our emergency management personnel, our first responders and utility crews.”
County officials are coordinating with local municipalities and with the State of New Jersey for overall response to the storm system.
The County’s Emergency Operations Center will be staffed with 24-hour coverage throughout the duration of storm.
County officials have identified resources and are ready to activate sheltering plans, should they be needed.
All residents are instructed to contact their municipal Office of Emergency Management for information about shelters and other resources.
The County will operate two regional shelters for residents who cannot go to local shelters:
· Old Bridge Shelter, Carl Sandburg School, 3439 Route 516
· Woodbridge, Woodbridge Community Center, 600 Main St.
Municipal Office Of Emergency Management Contact Numbers
- CARTERET — 732-541-4007
- Shelters: Carteret Middle School – 220 Carteret Ave
- Nathan Hale School – Haywood & Roosevelt
- CRANBURY – 609-395-0031
- DUNELLEN – 732-968-3000
- EAST BRUNSWICK — 732-432-6004
- Reception Center – Trinity Presbyterian Church on Cranbury Road
- EDISON — 732-248-7400
- Shelter – Edison Senior Center – 2963 Woodbridge Ave.
- HELMETTA — 732-251-4100
- HIGHLAND PARK — 732-572-3800
- JAMESBURG – 732-521-0011
- METUCHEN – 732-632-8500
- MIDDLESEX BOROURGH – 732-356-1900
- MILLTOWN – 732-828-1100
- Reception Center – Firehouses on Cottage Ave. and South Main St.
- MONROE TOWNSHIP — 732-521-0222
- Shelter: Monroe Twp High School – opening will be communicated via Reverse 911
- NEW BRUNSWICK — 732-745-5200
- Free Parking for residents to move their cars to higher ground will be located at the Morris Street Parking deck
- NORTH BRUNSWICK — 732-247-7272
- OLD BRIDGE – 732-721-5600
- PERTH AMBOY — 732-442-4400
- PISCATAWAY — 732-562-1100
- PLAINSBORO — 609-799-2333
- SAYREVILLE — 732-727-4444
- Senior Citizens Center, 425 Main St.
- SOUTH AMBOY — 732-721-0111
- SOUTH RIVER — 732-613-6112
- SOUTH BRUNSWICK — 732-329-4646
- SOUTH PLAINFIELD — 908-755-0700
- SPOTSWOOD — 732-251-2121
- WOODBRIDGE — 732-634-7700
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!