NEW BRUNSWICK- Citing his defense of woman’s reproductive rights, access to preventive medical services, and availability to contraception NARAL Pro-Choice America’s political action committee has announced its endorsement of U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez for re-election.
“Senator Menendez is a pro-choice champion and the only candidate in this race women can trust,” said Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America. “Because of his leadership, he and those serving with him in the U.S. Senate have been the firewall blocking anti-choice efforts in Congress and defending women’s rights to the basic health care they need. New Jersey voters deserve a leader who understands that being pro-choice is a values statement, not a statement of convenience. We are proud to support Senator Menendez’s candidacy and will make sure our members know that he is the fully pro-choice candidate in this race.”
Among the reasons NARAL Pro-Choice American cited as the basis of its endorsement of Sen. Menendez were:
- Menendez voted against the proposal to block Planned Parenthood from receiving any federal funds, which would have denied millions of Americans access to contraception, cancer screenings, and other basic medical care.
- Menendez voted against a budget bill that would have cut funding for contraception and cancer screenings, made it harder for low-income women in D.C. to choose abortion care, and eliminated family-planning programs for the world’s poorest women.
“I am honored to receive the support of NARAL Pro-Choice America, a tireless ally in the fight to protect a woman’s right to choose,” said Menendez, who earned a 100 percent rating of his voting record from NARAL.
“Like so many anti-choice lawmakers in Washington, my opponent has failed New Jersey women time and time again on women’s reproductive choices, on women’s health care, on paycheck equity for women, and on paid family leave. But I will not let down the women of New Jersey and the United States in the fight to protect women’s reproductive rights and freedoms. I am grateful to be recognized by NARAL Pro-Choice America for my pro-choice efforts, and will continue to work to protect these very basic rights.”
Previously announced endorsements for Menendez include:
- New Jersey Education Association PAC
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund
- The New Jersey Sierra Club
- New Jersey Environmental Federation
- The Communication Workers of America (CWA) New Jersey
- Health Professionals and Allied Employees’ (HPAE), New Jersey Chapter
- New Jersey AFL-CIO
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!