New Fluorescent Tube Recycling Service For Union County Residents

UNION COUNTY –Union County has begun sponsoring a free fluorescent tube light recycling program for county residents.

The new program covers the 4-foot and 8-foot long tubes that are commonly used for lighting in home workshops, utility areas and garages. Circular and U-shaped fluorescent tubes often used in kitchens and bathrooms can also be recycled through this program.

“Many Union County residents use fluorescent tube lights in their homes, and this service provides a convenient way to ensure that the spent tubes are handled and disposed of in an environmentally safe manner,” said Freeholder Vice Chairman Linda Carter.

Union County already offers free recycling for all types of household fluorescent lights through countywide Household Hazardous Waste collection events. The new initiative adds ten new sites, to help make recycling easier and more convenient for tube-style lights.

“Over the years we have seen that many residents need our countywide hazardous waste events only to dispose of their old tube lights, so we realized that it made sense to expand that part of the program and make it more accessible,” said Carter.

Under the new initiative, local governments will offer their facilities as free drop-off sites for the bulbs. The county will pay the cost of recycling them properly, including packing and shipping costs.

Participants can bring up to 12 tube lights, including circular, U-shaped, or 4-foot and 8-foot tubes. All lights must be unbroken. Businesses and institutions are not eligible to participate as this program is for residential use only.

Residents are advised that the tube light fixtures, also called ballasts, are not part of this recycling effort.

The new sites are:

Clark (Clark residents only)
Clark Public Works, on the last Saturday of the month, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Dates for 2012: August 25, September 29, October 27.

Cranford (Cranford residents only)
Cranford Conservation Center, 210 Birchwood Avenue, any time the center is open. Check the website,, for days and hours of operation.

Elizabeth (Elizabeth residents only)
Elizabeth Recycling Center, 523 Trenton Avenue, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Garwood (Garwood residents only)
Garwood Public Works Yard, 15 South Avenue, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Linden (Linden residents only)
Linden Recycling Center, 2 Donaldson Place, Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 3:00 pm and Saturdays from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.

New Providence (New Providence residents only)
Department of Public Works, 29 Park Place, Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Plainfield (Plainfield residents only)
PMUA Transfer Station, 95 Rock Avenue on the second Wednesday of every month between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm.

Rahway (Rahway residents only)
Rahway has curbside collection of fluorescent bulbs. Call 732-827-2159 to schedule an appointment or visit for more information.

Roselle (Roselle residents only)
Roselle DPW Yard, 1121 Chandler Avenue, Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 2:00 pm.

Westfield (Westfield residents only)
Westfield Conservation Center, 1300 Lamberts Mill Road, any time the Center is open. Check the website,, for days and hours of operation.

In addition to these ten sites, the Fanwood Recycling Association continues to accept fluorescent bulbs from any resident of Union County at the Fanwood Recycling Center on North Avenue (next to Quick Chek). A small donation is requested to recover costs for this nonprofit organization. The center is open on Wednesday and Saturday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.

All Union County residents can still bring fluorescent bulbs of any type along many other kinds of special waste to the countywide Household Hazardous Waste collection days. The last two events scheduled for this year will be on Sunday, August 4 at the Union County Vo-Tech Schools in Scotch Plains and on Saturday, October 20 at Union County College.

For complete information on Union County’s countywide recycling programs visit Information on all Union County programs and services is available at or call the Public Info Line, 1-877-424-1234.

Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email