PERTH AMBOY— Mayor Wilda Diaz held a construction kick-off ceremony today to announce and witness the start of the major improvements to the Jefferson Street Parking Deck.
“Now, it is time to begin a well-deserved project and one that I have spoken about for some time, the Jefferson Street Parking Deck, which is the largest public parking location out of nine lots. Approximately 300 drivers occupy this deck on a daily basis and we want to ensure it’s in the best condition for our business owners, commuters, shoppers and residents. I want to thank participating city officials, the Council and the Parking Utility Committee Members for their combined efforts on this project,” said Diaz.
During the ceremony, Diaz was joined by city officials and the project engineer, Jim Zullo of Timothy Haahs and Associates, who shared importance of the construction/renovation plan which include:
- Concrete Deck Repairs
- Overhead Precast Filigree Slab Repairs
- Steel Beam Stiffening Repairs
- Application of Waterproofing Membranes on entire Parking Deck surfaces (with traffic deck coating membranes)
- Signage Improvement (New Entry/Exit Signs at the north wall, New illuminated “Parking” sign etc.)
- Stair Tower Safety Enhancement/Retrofitting
- Architectural Enhancement of Building Elevations (Repainting of Concrete Barrier Walls, Repainting of Steel Framing Members)
- Sealant replacement/Crack Repairs at floor deck joints
- Misc. Items (pigeon control system, dumpster enclosures etc.)
The deck was enhanced in December 2011 with lighting and surveillance cameras. The 1972, 300 parking space deck should be completed by Nov. 30 and the deck will remain open under construction.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!