STATE – Over the next few days, New Jersey residents may spot a larger-than-life potato traveling by flatbed truck. The Great Big Idaho® Potato Truck set off on a seven-month cross-country journey in April, and it’s set to make six New Jersey stops between June 2 and June 6.
The truck is a way of celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Idaho Potato Commission and raise money for Meals On Wheels. The commission made a $100,000 donation to Meals On Wheels Association of America, a national organization that represents more than 5,000 Meals on Wheels programs across the country that, in total, prepare and deliver more than one million meals each day to homebound seniors. Those who visit the Great Big Idaho® Potato Truck will be encouraged to make a $7 donation to Meals On Wheels Association of America, the cost of preparing and serving one meal.
The truck, inspired by a vintage Idaho® Potato postcard, features a 28-foot long, 12-foot wide, 11.5-foot tall artificial Idaho® potato that weighs in at six tons – the equivalent of more than 32,000 medium-sized Idaho® potatoes. It is 1,102 times heavier than the largest potato ever grown, which weighed 11 pounds.
Chris Schofield and Sharolyn Spruce of Weiser, Idaho designed and built the truck, with the help of a few specialized contractors, over a one-year period. The Kenworth Sales Company and Western Trailer, both based in Boise, Idaho, also aided with the construction.
To find out when the Great Big Idaho® Potato Truck will be in a city near you, visit www.bigidahopotato.com.
The truck is scheduled to make the following stops in New Jersey:
- Saturday, June 2 from 9 – 11 a.m. at Pathmark, 321 Stadium Plaza, Jersey City, NJ 07305
- Saturday, June 2 from 1–3 p.m. at BJ’s Wholesale Club, 1 Howard Blvd., Legewood, NJ 07852
- Monday, June 4 from 9 – 11 a.m. at A & P, 2007 State Route 35, Belmar, NJ 07719
- Monday, June 4 from 1– 3 p.m. at BJ’s Wholesale Club, 1904 Rte 35 S, Oakhurst, NJ 07755
- Wednesday, June 6, from 9 – 11 a.m. at BJ’s Wholesale Club, 1007 Highway Route 9N, Old Bridge, NJ 08859
- Wednesday, June 6 from 1– 3 p.m. at BJ’s Wholesale Club, 131 East Kings Highway, Maple Shade, NJ 08052
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!