TRENTON – New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission is reminding customers that new federal identity requirements will take effect Monday, May 7, for anyone applying for or renewing a driver license, non-driver ID or permit at an agency.
While customers will no longer be required to present 6 Points of Identification, they must follow three steps under the new TRU-ID program to demonstrate proof of legal presence, legal identity, social security number and principal address.
STEP 1: Applicants must present one of the following documents:
- Unexpired U.S. Passport or Passport Card
- Certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate with an official seal
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DOS-issued, Form PS-240, DS-1350 or FS545)
- Permanent Resident Card (DHS or INS-issued, Form I-551)
- Unexpired EAD – Employment Authorization Document (DHS-issued, Form I-766 or Form I-688B). This form must be accompanied by a Social Security Card*
- Unexpired foreign passport (with valid U.S. visa affixed and accompanied by an approved I-94 document noting the applicant’s most recent admittance to the U.S.)*
- Certificate of Naturalization (DHS-issued, Form N-550 or N-570)
- Certificate of Citizenship (DHS-issued, Form N-560 or N-561)
- State-issued driver license or ID compliant with the standards established by REAL ID*
- Other documents as DHS may publish in the Federal Register
*If presenting this document, the applicant must present an additional document from this list or other documents issued by the DHS or other federal agency to demonstrate lawful status.
STEP 2: Applicants must present a complete nine-digit Social Security number using one of the following documents:
- U.S.-issued Social Security card
- Most recent W-2 form
- Pay stub with the applicant’s name and complete Social Security number
STEP 3: Applicants must present two proofs of principal residence. P. O. Boxes are not acceptable. Select from the following documents:
- MVC-issued driver license renewal form
- Utility or credit card bill issued in the last 90 days
- Checking or savings account statement from a financial institution in the last 60 days
- Property tax bill, statement or receipt from the last year
- Original lease or rental agreement showing the applicant as the lessee or renter
- First-class mail received from any federal, state or local government agency in the last six months
- Applicants under age 18 may present a parent or guardian certification that verifies residency
Customers are encouraged to review TRU-ID requirements prior to an agency visit. Complete information is available at www.njmvc.gov/tru.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!