Edison Police Arrest Two Suspects Believed Connected To String Of Armed Robberies

EDISON – Police arrested two men yesterday morning who are believed to be involved in a series of cell phone store robberies, authorities said.

Edison police did not immediately release the names of the two suspects who were arrested following an attempted robbery at the T-Mobile store at 32 Parsonage Road, just before 11 a.m. on Jan. 12.

At the time of the attempted robbery, the store was under surveillance by members of the Edison Police Detective Bureau’s Special Operations Group who were investigating a string of cell phone store robberies believed to be connected.

According to police, two men entered the store with what were later determined to be imitation handguns. They demanded money, cell phones and other electronic devices from the two employees at the store.

A third suspect, who was driving a vehicle, left the scene and drove around the block onto Lafayette Street, where he was apprehended without incident by Edison Police Detective Steve Todd, who made a motor vehicle stop.

Detective Sergeant Frank Todd, who was positioned to the rear of the T-Mobile store, apprehended a second suspect as the duo fled out the rear doors of the store on foot.

The remaining suspect who fled the scene on foot is described as a light-skinned black man in his 20s, who was wearing a striped shirt. He ran towards the Margate Apartment Complex and out of sight. Additional Edison Police Units, Woodbridge Police, Metuchen Police, South Brunswick Police and the NJ State Police Helicopter all aided in the search for this suspect, who remained at large Thursday evening.

Edison Police Chief Thomas Bryan said, “I am extremely proud of the detectives that were involved in the apprehension of these suspects. The actions of these detectives resulted in getting two violent criminals off the streets.”

Police believe the suspects may be connected to a string of other cell phone store robberies, included two in Edison, one in Franklin Township, and one in South Brunswick, going back to October which resulted in the theft of approximately $100,000 in cash and electronics.

The two suspects arrested Thursday were transported to Edison Police Headquarters without further incident. Charges and possible bail were still pending yesterday evening.

Authorities are asking anyone with information pertaining to this incident to contact the Edison Police
Department at 1-732-248-7400.

Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email ads@njtoday.net for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email