Church Dedicates Parish Hall In Honor Of Former Pastor

NJTODAY.NET's online business directory

ROSELLE PARK — To honor the late Pastor Msgr. Joseph F Loreti of the Church of the Assumption, Roselle Park, the Parish Hall in the lower Church was dedicated to his memory on Oct. 8 during the “Sock Hop Fifties Dance”.

When Msgr. Loreti became pastor in 1973, the hall was a vibrant gathering place for parishioners. From that time till he was called home to the Lord on Nov. 22, 1997, Msgr. Loreti used the parish hall as the social gathering place for the parish. It provided space for various community groups to meet such as AA, the Boy Scouts, and the Nurses Association. Plus there were dances and plays that entertained not just the parishioners but the entire Roselle Park Community.

After years of not being utilized, Church of Assumption’s current pastor, Fr. James Spera wanted to once again make it the center of the parish’s social life. With the help of the Knights of Columbus Council #3240 funds have been raise to undertake renovations, purchase new tables and chairs, and a curtain for the stage. The kitchen was refurbished in time for the 2011 St. Anthony’s Feast in June and is certified to serve delicious “home cooked food” at all events.

This year Loreti Hall has been used for themed events such as the “Sock Hop Fifties Dance” and the “Autumn Harvest Ball with Swing Time Big Band”. A spaghetti dinner was served by the Knights to raise funds for restoring the original church bell, and there will be a New Year’s Eve party to welcome in 2012. It is also a large space suitable for events for children like the recent “Halloween Knight in the Afternoon”, and upcoming Sunday, Dec. 4 at 11:30 a.m. St. Nicholas party and pictures with Santa.

The current church building that houses the Loreti Hall is the third structure erected to serve the parish since its incorporation in 1907. During the time of Father Chiego, in the 40s and 50s, the church building, now known as the Chiego Center, became inadequate for serving the needs of the parish. In 1954 Archbishop Thomas A. Boland granted permission to build a new church and rectory, which are the current structures. He dedicated the new church and rectory on Aug. 20, 1955.

For information about the parish and upcoming events visit

Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET

Leave a Reply