UNION COUNTY – Four Union County schools are among the 305 nationwide that were named Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education today. Terence C. Reilly School No. 7 in Elizabeth, New Providence High School, St. John the Apostle School in Clark and Holy Trinity Interparochial School in Westfield received the recognition.
The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program, honors public and private schools based on one of two criteria: 1) Schools whose students are high performing. These are schools ranked among each state’s highest performing schools as measured by their performance on state assessments or, in the case of private schools, that score at the highest performance level on nationally-normed tests; or 2) Schools with at least 40 percent of their students from disadvantaged backgrounds that improve student performance to high levels as measured by the school’s performance on state assessments or nationally-normed tests.
“These schools have demonstrated what is possible in education, and we applaud them on their accomplishment,” said Gov. Chris Christie. “Public education is meant to be the great equalizer to make sure that all children, no matter where they’re born, have an equal shot at life. Our goal is to ensure that every student in New Jersey, regardless of the zip code in which they are born, graduates from high school ready for college and a career.”
Other New Jersey schools awarded a “National Blue Ribbon” include:
- Lincoln Elementary School (Ridgefield Park, Bergen County)
- Our Lady of Mercy Academy (Park Ridge, Bergen County)
- Our Lady of the Lake School (Verona, Essex County)
- Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School (Rumson, Monmouth County)
- Saint Elizabeth School (Wyckoff, Bergen County)
- Saint John’s Academy (Hillsdale, Bergen County)
- St. Joseph School (Oradell, Bergen County)
- Tewksbury Elementary School (Califon, Hunterdon County)
- Thomas Jefferson Elementary School (Hawthorne, Passaic County)
- Watchung School (Montclair, Essex County)
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!