STATE — Taxpayers who may have difficulty getting to an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center during normal business hours Monday through Friday can visit an IRS office located at 100 Dey Place, Edison; 20 Washington Place, Newark or 600 Arch Street, Philadelphia, Pa. on Saturday, July 16, from 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
The IRS is hosting the Saturday open house this summer to provide free assistance to taxpayers who need help getting information required to file their tax returns. Help with account questions, such as collection or examination issues, is also available during the open house. In some instances virtual assistance will be offered, connecting by telephone with IRS employees for help who are working in other offices open that day around the country.
The IRS will be offering help and advice to people who want to get a fresh start with their tax liabilities. “We are making fundamental changes to our lien system and other collection tools that will help taxpayers and give them a fresh start,” IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman said. “These steps are good for people facing tough times, and they reflect a responsible approach for the tax system.”
On July 16 taxpayers will be able to learn about changes which include:
- Adjustments to IRS Lien Policies
- Significantly increasing the dollar threshold when liens are generally issued, resulting in fewer tax liens
- Making it easier for taxpayers to obtain lien withdrawals after paying a tax bill
- Withdrawing liens in most cases where a taxpayer enters into a Direct Debit Installment Agreement
- Creating easier access to Installment Agreements for struggling small businesses
- Expanding the streamlined Offer in Compromise program to cover more taxpayers
In addition to the normal array of services, limited help preparing tax forms is available on a first-come, first-served basis in most locations.
Over 35,000 taxpayers attended similar open house events last year. A list of all the open house locations is available on www.IRS.gov.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!