SUMMIT — Every Monday is now a new opportunity to start a healthy lifestyle, as Overlook Medical Center offers a variety of screenings and activities at its storefront location in the heart of downtown Summit.
“Know Your Numbers” is an initiative by Overlook’s Community Health Department to help people learn about their own health, such as their blood pressure and cholesterol levels, as well as receive counseling and educational materials from Overlook’s community health clinicians.
“Many people put off starting healthy activities until ‘next week,’ until one Monday after another has come and gone,” said Joyce Passen, manager of Community Health for Overlook medical Center. “Sometimes the biggest hurdle is finding out where to begin, so we’re giving people an opportunity to get the week off to a healthy start.”
Each of the events will take place at Overlook Medical Center’s storefront location in downtown Summit, 357 Springfield Avenue, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
- May 16 – Hearing Screening: Have your hearing tested for potential problems.
- May 23 – Cholesterol Screening : Total cholesterol, HDL and TC/HDL ratio are measured using a simple fingerstick. Fasting is not required. $10 Fee.
- May 23 – Blood Pressure Screening: Make sure you are at or below 120/80 – the national guideline for blood pressure.
- June 6 – BMI: Body Mass Index, Body Fat Analysis: Learn how your body fat percentage and BMI impact your heart health.
- June 13 – Sun Exposure Education with the Dermaview machine: See the effect of sun exposure on your skin by using our Dermaview machine, and learn how to protect yourself from the harmful effects of the sun.
- June 20 – Bone Density for men and women: Find out if you are at risk for developing osteoporosis with a non invasive ultrasound that provides immediate results. $10 Fee.
- June 27 – Blood Pressure Screening: Make sure you are at or below 120/80 – the national guideline for blood pressure.
Registration is required for each event. For more information and to register, call 1-800-247-9580.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!