by Mark Carvajal
The Perth Amboy Board of Education voted to adopt the district budget 2011-2012 which will be submitted to the citizens of Perth Amboy on April 27th for approval. The Board was able to present a budget to the citizens of Perth Amboy with no tax increase and no layoffs within the district.
The Board was able to achieve this by working closely with local leaders and citizens of Perth Amboy. These meetings with the public introduce the following initiatives:
- The Board initiated a forensic audit to ensure operational procedures were sufficient and serve the district.
- The Board voted to aggressively pursue the 2.6 million dollar loss at no cost to the tax payer.
- The Board requested the open bill list to be posted online to inform the tax payer of what bills are paid on a monthly basis.
- The Board accepted an insurance policy which is open and transparent requiring a minimum of 3 bids. The district also would be able to allocate insurance at an affordable rate with no change in benefits.
- The insurance policy is expected to save the district 3 million dollars this year.
The money that the Board was able to save not only produces a budget with no tax increase but was able to move funds to areas within the district to focus on student achievement. We are able to provide the teachers with the tools they need to accomplish their given task. This is to developing the human potential.
This Board is aware of the difficult economic climate we are in, yet this board was able to develop a balanced budget. The board also knows that the taxpayer can no longer bare the burden of a tax increase in these difficult economic times. Therefore this Board is committed and will continue to explore new cost cutting measures within the district. I respectfully ask you to accept and vote to pass the 2011-2012 budget.
Mark Carvajal is a member of the Perth Amboy Board of Education
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!