NEW BRUNSWICK – Spanish-speaking families are invited to attend Abriendo Puertas, a series of six, consecutive workshops beginning on Tuesday, Jan. 25, at 5:30 p.m. at the New Brunswick Family Success Center on 90 Jersey Avenue. Free childcare and refreshments will be provided to those registering at (732) 828-4510 x120.
The first workshop will explore language development and bilingualism in Spanish-speaking families. While parents are encouraged to be a part of the full series taking place over six weeks, they may attend any workshop.
The Abriendo Puertas workshop topics include:
- Session 1: My Child Talks (language development and bilingualism)
- Session 2: Let’s Continue Opening Doors (library and reading)
- Session 3: Our Health is First: Part 1 (nutrition and exercise)
- Session 4: Our Health is First: Part 2 (socio-emotional health)
- Session 5: Advocating for our Future (advocating for rights in schools)
- Session 6: Yes We Can (celebration where parents and their families are invited)
Abriendo Puertas is a comprehensive parent leadership and advocacy training program developed and evaluated in Los Angeles County primarily for Spanish-speaking parents. Materials are presented in an interactive way to encourage involvement and discussion, with each workshop theme framed around a “dicho” or saying.
The program is brought to families through a partnership between The New Brunswick Family Success Center (FSC) at PRAB and the New Jersey Parent Information and Resource Center (NJPIRC), a program of Prevent Child Abuse – NJ (PCA-NJ). For additional information regarding the series or other parental involvement activities, visit http://www.njpirc.org .
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!