RAHWAY – An upgrade to the railway signal system near Rahway Station will have a major impact on weekend rail commuters.
Beginning at approximately 9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 24, and continuing through late Sunday, Sept. 26, Amtrak will undertake a significant signal system upgrade to modernize Union Interlocking, the point on the railroad where the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line converge near Rahway Station.
The project will result in centralized computer control over the signals and switches that handle train movements through this important location.
Because the signal system at Union Interlocking will be offline during the upgrade and testing that must follow, Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line service will be impacted.
Beginning at 9 p.m. Friday and continuing through Saturday morning, all Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line trains will be subject to 45-minute delays in both directions. These delays will be incurred in the area of Union Interlocking (Rahway). Inbound trains to New York will likely be delayed between Woodbridge/Metropark and New York. Outbound trains will be delayed between Elizabeth and their final destination.
On Saturday, Sept. 25, and Sunday, Sept. 26:
- Inbound Northeast Corridor trains will bypass Rahway and Linden stations. Customers at these stations may use inbound North Jersey Coast Line trains for service to Newark and New York. Customers traveling to Rahway or Linden from points west on the Northeast Corridor should travel to Newark Airport and then return on an outbound train.
- Outbound Northeast Corridor trains will use low-level platforms at Linden Station. Customers will need to use steps when boarding or alighting Northeast Corridor trains on the outbound platform at Linden.
– Customers with disabilities traveling to Linden from points east (e.g. Newark or New York) should use North Jersey Coast Line trains, which will platform normally at Linden. Please note that North Jersey Coast Line trains depart earlier than Northeast Corridor trains.
– Customers with disabilities traveling from Linden to points west on the Northeast Corridor (e.g. New Brunswick, Trenton) should board a North Jersey Coast Line train, travel to Rahway, and then transfer to a Northeast Corridor train on the same platform.
- All 7600-series trains will be canceled between Rahway and Newark to reduce congestion. These trains normally operate between Rahway and New York. On Saturday and Sunday, all 7600-series trains will operate between Newark Penn Station, Secaucus Junction and New York only. Customers at Rahway, Linden, Elizabeth and Newark Airport should use other Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line trains instead.
- Delays are possible throughout the weekend due to ongoing signal testing. Please allow additional travel time.
Check http://njtransit.com for updated information.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!