UNION — The Union Public Library will present part one of a film retrospective saluting New Jersey filmmakers and film personalities on Tuesday, Aug. 24, at 2 p.m. The series will continue on Tuesdays through the end of the year.
The individuals being celebrated were either native born or residents of the Garden State. Among the film luminaries honored in this series are the following: Ernie Kovacs (Trenton), Ray Liotta (Newark and Union Township), William Bendix (Hillside), Thomas Mitchell (Elizabeth), Victor Moore (Hammonton), Bud Abbott (Asbury Park), Lou Costello (Paterson), Joan Bennett (Palisades), Roscoe Lee Browne (Woodbury), Frank Sinatra (Hoboken), Eva Marie Saint (Newark), Robert Wuhl (Union Township), Susan Sarandon (Edison), John Travolta (Englewood), Lee Van Cleef (Somerset), Jack Nicholson (Neptune), Tom Cruise (Glenridge), Danny DeVito (Asbury Park), Richard Conte (Jersey City), Joe Pesci (Newark), Eddie Bracken (Montclair), and Franklin Pangborn (Newark).
The films being screened in part one of the retrospective include:
- August 24: (Ernie Kovacs) – Our Man in Havana (1959) (111 minutes) (NR)
- August 31: (Ray Liotta)– Dominick and Eugene (1988) (110 minutes) (PG-13)
- September 7: (William Bendix) – A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court (1949)
- (104 minutes) (NR)
- September 14: (Thomas Mitchell and Victor Moore) – Make Way For Tomorrow (1937)
- (92 minutes) (NR)
- September 21: (Bud Abbott & Lou Costello) – Buck Privates (1941) (82 minutes) (NR)
- September 28: (Joan Bennett) – Woman in the Window (1944) (99 minutes) (NR)
- October 19: (Frank Sinatra) – The Manchurian Candidate (1962) (126 minutes) (NR)
- October 26: (Eva Marie Saint) – All Fall Down (1962) (109 minutes) (NR)
- November 2: (Robert Wuhl) – Good Morning Vietnam (1987) (120 minutes) (NR)
- November 9: (Susan Sarandon) – Lorenzo’s Oil (1992) (140 minutes) (PG-13)
- November 16: (John Travolta) – Urban Cowboy (1980) (117 minutes) (PG)
- November 23: (Lee Van Cleef) – For A Few Dollars More (1967) (130 minutes) (NR)
- November 30: (Eddie Bracken & Franklin Pangborn) – Hail The Conquering Hero (1944)
- (101 minutes) (NR)
- December 7: (Jack Nicholson & Tom Cruise) – A Few Good Men (1992) (138 minutes) (R)
- December 14: (Richard Conte) – I’ll Cry Tomorrow (1955) (119 minutes) (NR)
- December 21: (Danny DeVito) – Throw Momma From The Train (1987) (88 min.) (PG-13)
- December 28: (Joe Pesci) – Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) (114 minutes) (R)
The films will be shown at 2:00 P.M. Admission to the screenings is free.
The Union Public Library is located at 1980 Morris Avenue in Union. For more information, call the reference department at 1-908-851-5452.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!