PISCATAWAY – Summer is a peak driving time for New Jerseyans and Raceway Petroleum of Piscataway recognizes the importance of vehicle safety and fuel conservation.
According to AAA Mid-Atlantic, automobile trips are expected to increase in popularity this year with 31.4 million people reaching their destination by driving.
Whether you’re taking road trips big or small this summer, Raceway President & CEO Nicholas Kambitsis has a few tips to keep in mind when you’re hitting the road:
· Check your tire pressure and look for uneven wear, which suggests you may need a wheel alignment. Under-inflated tires decrease gas mileage and bald or damaged tires should be replaced.
· High summer temperatures can take a toll on your car battery, especially if it’s old. Check your battery’s recommended lifespan and consider replacing it if it’s approaching or has exceeded its lifespan.
· Check your vehicle’s fluid levels before you head out and stay on top of your car’s maintenance. Make sure to change the oil if need be and keep an eye on coolant, brake, washer and transmission fluids.
· If your family has more than one vehicle, be sure to choose the one that gets better gas mileage for your trips.
· Stay safe while traveling by preventing fatigue. Allow for breaks by stopping for food and beverages at facilities like Racemart convenience stores located throughout North and Central Jersey, pulling over at rest stops and alternating drivers to stay more alert.
· The NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway can become congested, especially during peak weekend and holiday travel hours. Leave as early as possible or travel at off-peak hours to save on gas and lessen stress by avoiding stop and go traffic.
· Pack smart and try not to add excessive weight to your car since it cuts down on fuel efficiency. Take only what you think will be absolutely necessary and clear out your trunk and backseat beforehand.
· When packing, make sure that none of your items are packed so high that they obstruct your view and don’t bury important items that you may need fast access to.
· Use your Cruise Control setting on highways to maintain a safe speed and save on gas.
· Observe the speed limit and drive at a steady pace since sudden acceleration and braking is not only extremely dangerous, but will also reduce your mileage.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!