NEW JERSEY –The family of seven New Jersey Wegmans Food Markets locations and premium berry grower Driscoll’s announced today a strawberry sale fundraising event with proceeds benefiting the Children’s Home Society of New Jersey (CHS of NJ), a dedicated non-profit organization that works to protect abused and neglected infants and children.
Beginning Friday, July 16 through Sunday, July 18, Wegmans will donate $0.50 for every Driscoll’s strawberry product package (any size) sold at each of their New Jersey stores.
“We’ve set a goal to raise $15,000 over this special three-day weekend to benefit the Children’s Home Society of New Jersey and are honored to partner with Driscoll’s to advance the mission of this committed New Jersey organization,” said Joe Sofia, district manager, Wegmans.
To participate in Wegmans and Driscolls’ three-day strawberry sale fundraiser, customers may visit any Wegmans New Jersey location (Bridgewater, Cherry Hill, Manalapan, Mount Laurel, Ocean, Princeton and Woodbridge).
And, to kick off the upcoming strawberry sale fundraiser, the team of executive chefs at Wegmans offers the following delicious and refreshing strawberry recipes sure to please the entire family!
Wegmans Strawberry & Lemon Curd Mille-Feuille:
- 1 pkg (16 oz) puff pastry sheet, thawed
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice, (2-3 lemons)
- 1 stick + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, slightly chilled, cut in ½ -inch slices
- 8-10 large strawberries, stemmed, sliced thin
- 10x sugar (confectioners’)
You’ll Need: Parchment paper, 2 baking sheets, thermometer, food processor or blender
Make curd (day before serving dessert):
- Put saucepan of water on medium. Bring to a simmer.
- Place ½ cup sugar in a metal bowl that fits tightly over saucepan. Add eggs and lemon juice; whisk to blend.
- Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water, making sure water does not touch bottom of bowl. Cook, whisking constantly, until curd thickens. Curd will start out light and foamy, then thicken. When whisk leaves tracks in curd as you stir, it is almost ready.
- Remove from heat when custard reaches 180 degrees, about 8 min. Transfer to blender (or food processor). Let curd rest about 4 min, stirring occasionally until it cools to 140 degrees.
- Blend curd on high, adding a few pieces of butter at a time as it blends and scraping down sides of container as needed. After all butter is added, blend additional 3-4 min. Transfer curd to airtight container. Chill overnight.
Day of serving dessert:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut puff pastry sheet in half crosswise, then each half into thirds. Dust lightly with 1 Tbsp granulated sugar. Bake 25 min, until it puffs up and turns golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Cover hot pastry with sheet of parchment paper and a separate clean baking sheet. Press down top baking sheet to help flatten puff pastry. Return all to oven. Bake about 8 min, until crisp; set aside to cool.
- Assemble dessert: Spread 1 section of puff pastry with 2 Tbsp curd; center on plate. Top with layer of sliced strawberries. Place second section of pastry on work surface; layer with curd and strawberries. Place atop first layer; top with third section of puff pastry. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar; garnish with berry. Repeat with remaining pastry sections.
Wegmans Strawberry-Spinach Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup champagne vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 peeled shallots, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- dash white pepper
- 1 pkg (11 oz) baby spinach
- 2 lbs local strawberries, stemmed, quartered
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread almonds on baking sheet in single layer. Toast in oven about 12 min (watching carefully). Let cool.
- Combine vinegar and oil in a large bowl; add shallots and sugar. Whisk in salt and white pepper. Add spinach, berries, and almonds. Toss gently.
Strawberry Triple Sec Shortcake:
- 3 pkgs (16 oz) strawberries, stemmed and quartered (sliced into 6 pieces if large)
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Triple Sec
- 2 angel food rings (10 oz each), sliced in 12 servings
- 12 Tbsp whipped cream
- Combine strawberries, sugar and Triple Sec in large bowl; set aside 1 hour at room temperature.
- Spoon strawberries equally over each slice of angel food. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp whipped cream.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!