Environmentalists To Speak About Proposed Linden Coal Plant

NJTODAY.NET's online business directory

SPRINGFIELD–On Wednesday, June 30 at 7 p.m., the Springfield Free Public Library will host the NJ Chapter of the Sierra Club and a coalition of environmental organizations who will present an exploration of the impact of a proposed experimental coal power plant in Linden.

The project, called PurGen, will use experimental technology to store carbon dioxide under the seabed.  The organizations are concerned that this plant will increase air pollution in the metropolitan area and may potentially leak carbon dioxide into the increasingly acidic Atlantic Ocean.

[smartads]

The $7 billion, 750-megawatt power plant, to be located in Arthur Kill, would use 2.5 million tons of coal a year.  About 60 percent of its electrical output would be sold to a power supplier for distribution.  The remaining 40 percent would be used to generate 1.3 million tons of nitrogen fertilizer a year and to pump about 5 to 10 million tons of pressurized liquid carbon dioxide underground. From there it would be pushed through a 138 mile pipe from the plant into the Atlantic Ocean, where the carbon dioxide would – presumably- be stored forever beneath the ocean floor.

Residents and environmental groups have expressed concerns that the plant will damage an already polluted environment.

The Springfield Free Public Library is located at 66 Mountain Avenue, Springfield. For additional information, call 1-973-376-4930.


Connect with NJTODAY.NET


Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email ads@njtoday.net for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET