LINDEN –A man accused of dumping two dismembered bodies in Linden in April has now been charged with a February home invasion robbery, officials said Friday.
On Thursday afternoon, police charged Hudson County resident Ruben Acosta, 36, with first degree kidnapping and first degree robbery stemming from a Feb. 1 incident on Caroline Avenue, according to Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.
Acosta was arrested by Hudson County authorities last week in connection with the case of two Union City residents who were killed inside an apartment, dismembered and left in several trash bags on a curb in Linden in April. When he was arrested authorities discovered a 9mm handgun, a fake New York Police Department badge, handcuffs and $6,000 in cash, said Romankow.
An investigation revealed that the gun found in Acosta’s possession was stolen during the Caroline Avenue robbery. During that robbery, a victim reported that the suspect used handcuffs and a duct tape to bind and blindfold her. The suspect in that robbery had identified himself as a police officer and had a badge around his neck when he first knocked on the front door, according to authorities.
Acosta is currently being held on $750,000 bail in Hudson County and yesterday Union County Superior Judge Stuart Peim ordered Acosta held on an additional $1 million bail in relation to the robbery and kidnapping charges.
Authorities are asking anyone with information on the Linden crime to call Linden Police Department Detective John Johnston at 1-908-474-8500. Anyone with information on the Union City murders is asked to call the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office’s Homicide Squad at 1-201-915-1345.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!