Edison Police Apprehend Gas Station Robbery Suspect

EDISON—Police arrested a 27-year-old Fords resident this morning, following a robbery attempt at a Route 27 gas station.

Michael Rebeck was charged with aggravated assaulted with a weapon and criminal mischief, police said. In addition, the suspect was charged with harming a police animal because he allegedly kicked police canine in the head during the arrest process.


Early this morning, a gas station customer alerted police to a robbery in progress at the Delta Gas Station located at 1951 Route 27. Reback allegedly gained entry to the office area by smashing a pane of glass on the office door with the hammer, according to authorities.

Reback allegedly then reached in, unlocked the door and then re-locked it before he confronted the attendant. The suspect then allegedly attempted to rob the attendant by striking him in the head while armed with the hammer, authorities said. The attendant was in the process of attempting to fight off the suspect when Edison Police officers arrived on scene at approximately 1:20 a.m.

Upon their arrival officers observed an adult male suspect armed with a hammer attempting to rob a 34-year-old male attendant inside the office area of the gas station. The office was locked and the suspect refused to comply with the officers’ verbal commands to drop the hammer and come out of the locked office, according to authorities.

Reback allegedly exited the office area by jumping out of a large window pane that he smashed with a hammer, according to authorities. He allegedly attempted to flee the scene while refusing to drop the hammer he was holding. At this point, Ptl. Joseph Kenney and several other officers chased the fleeing suspect and tackled him as he was attempting to run into the woods, authorities said.

Reback allegedly continued to fight with Kenney and the other officers as they attempted to gain control and handcuff the suspect, authorities said. He was eventually subdued and taken into custody with the assistance of the Edison Police K-9 unit and the officers on scene.

Kenney sustained injury to his knee and hand while arresting the suspect and was transported to J.F.K. Hospital for treatment, according to authorities. Ptl. Chris Sorber sustained a laceration to his finger while assisting with placing the suspect in custody. Sorber received medical treatment at the scene for his injury.

The gas station attendant was struck several times in the head with the hammer the suspect was wielding, authorities said. The attendant was transported to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital to treat his head injuries.

Reback sustained injury as a result of fighting with the attendant and actively fighting several police officers as they attempted to subdue him and take him into custody, authorities said. He was transported to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital for medical treatment.

Bail for Rebeck was set at $100,000 full. He will be remanded to the Middlesex County Adult Corrections Center once he is released from Robert Wood Johnson Hospital, authorities said.

Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email ads@njtoday.net for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email