IRS Offers Tips After You File Your Tax Return

MOUNTAINSIDE – Most taxpayers have already filed their federal tax returns, but many may still have questions.

“Here’s what the IRS wants you to know about refund status, recordkeeping, mistakes and what to do if you move,” said New Jersey’s IRS Spokesperson Gregg Semanick.


Where’s My Refund?
You can go online to check the status of your 2009 refund 72 hours after IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or 3 to 4 weeks after you mail a paper return.  Be sure to have a copy of your 2009 tax return available because you will need to know your filing status, the first Social Security number shown on the return, and the exact whole-dollar amount of the refund.

You have three options for checking on your refund:

  • Go to, and click on “Where’s My Refund”
  • Call IRS at 1-800-829-4477 – service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for automated refund information
  • Call IRS refund hotline at 1-800-829-1954 during business hours

What Records Should I Keep?
You filed your tax return and want to know what records to keep. Normally, tax records should be kept for three years, but some documents — such as records relating to a home purchase or sale, stock transactions, IRAs and business or rental property — should be kept longer.  You should keep copies of tax returns you have filed and the tax forms package as part of your records. They may be helpful in amending already filed returns or preparing future returns.

Need to Change Your Address?
If you move after you filed your tax return, you should send IRS Form 8822, Change of Address, to the Internal Revenue Service.  Form 8822 is available on the Web site or requested by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM. If you are expecting a refund through the mail, you should also file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service.

What If I Made a Mistake?
Errors may delay your refund or result in notices being sent to you. If you discover an error on your return, you can correct your return by filing an amended return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Form 1040X is available on the Web site or requested by calling the IRS at 1-800-TAX-FORM. Web site Offers One-Stop Service
The IRS Web site is a one-stop shop for a wide array of tax information. For extension and late filers you can still prepare and file your federal tax return – for free – through IRS Free File for those whose income is $57,000 or less.  Have some tax questions? Check out 1040 Central on the Individuals page for the latest news. The Online Services section includes several online tools that will help you with your taxes, including the IRS Withholding Calculator, the Alternative Minimum Tax Assistant, and the EITC Assistant.

Visit for more information on refunds, recordkeeping, address changes and amended returns.

Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email