JERSEY CITY – To celebrate Earth Day, The Provident Bank will offer eco-friendly grocery bags to the first 100 customers at each of its 80 plus branches on April 22.
Reusable bags are made of heavy-duty, light-weight material and reduce the use of disposable plastic bags, which linger in trees, landfills and oceans.
“The reusable bags are a reminder of the small things we can do to help the environment – not only on Earth Day, but every day. Whether we’re in our homes or offices, there are simple acts that can reduce our carbon footprint,” said Christopher Martin, president and CEO of The Provident Bank.
The bank also recommends the following tips to benefit the environment:
1. Sign up to receive paperless bills and online statements – it helps reduce waste and saves time with record keeping.
2. Use recycled paper and recycle printer cartridges.
3. Turn off the lights when leaving a room and consider replacing older light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
4. Wash only full loads of laundry and give clothesline drying a try.
5. Run the dishwasher only when it’s full. Don’t pre-rinse dishes – tests show pre-rinsing doesn’t improve dishwasher cleaning.
6. Use public transportation, carpool, walk or bike whenever possible.
7. Don’t idle! Unless you’re in traffic, turn off the car engine. This includes while at the drive-thru doing your banking.
8. Unplug electronics when they are not in use. Some appliances use energy even when they are turned off, such as cell phone chargers and outlet adaptors.
9. Program thermostats to 68° F and use drapes, blinds and ceiling fans to regulate home temperature.
10. Avoid using disposable silverware and dishes – trade in that Styrofoam cup for a ceramic mug.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!