MONROE—Two male teens were arrested on charges of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl on a school bus last week, Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce J. Kaplan and Monroe Police Chief John J. Kraivec announced yesterday.
The juveniles, aged 15 and 16, were arrested on Jan. 23 on charges of aggravated sexual assault, aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of the girl, authorities said. The 16-year-old also was charged with a count of making terroristic threats.
Following their arrest, the defendants were held at the Middlesex County Juvenile Detention Center. During a Family Court hearing in New Brunswick on Jan. 25, Superior Court Judge Roger W. Daley ordered the defendants to remain at the center pending further court action.
The defendants, whose names are being withheld because of their ages, were arrested and charged as juveniles after the girl and an unidentified witness reported the assault to school officials in Monroe on Jan. 22. School officials subsequently notified police.
The two were arrested and charged following an investigation by the Monroe Police Department and the Sex Crimes Unit of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.
During the investigation it was determined that the defendants, who were the girl’s classmates, sexually assaulted her on the bus on the afternoon of Jan. 21, authorities said. In addition, the 16-year-old allegedly threatened her immediately after the attack.
Authorities ask anyone with information on this incident, or similar incidents, to call Detective Jason Grosser, or Detective Louis Winn, both of the Monroe Police Department, at 1-732-521-0222, or Investigator Daniel Ruschak of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at 1-732-745-3600.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!