PLAINFIELD – The Tri-County Red Cross is holding the first ever “Red Cross Resolutions Gym-A-Thon” from Jan. 16-24, 2010 at fitness centers, living rooms and trails throughout Union, Middlesex and Somerset counties.
The fundraiser asks participants to raise money for the distance they walk, run or bike in a fitness center using treadmills, ellipticals or stationary bikes. Participants can also exercise at home, on the road or anywhere else and track their miles.
“In January we all resolve to do more for our community, and for most of us we resolve to get in better shape,” said Nathan Rudy, the executive director of the Tri-County Red Cross. “The Red Cross Resolutions Gym-A-Thon is a great way to cross off both these items from your New Year’s Resolutions, by working out and raising money for disaster prevention and relief.”
• Ask your friends, family and co-workers to pledge a dollar or more per mile you exercise during the Gym-A-Thon;
• Exercise within your fitness level during the week of Jan. 16-24, 2010, and track how many miles you exercised during the week;
• Collect the pledges from your friends, family and co-workers and give it to your fitness center’s coordinator.
On average, the Tri-County Red Cross spends $65,000 each winter on disaster relief in its 22 communities. This includes shelter, food, clothing, material support, storage and other services required to respond to more than 45 home fires and other disasters from November to March each year.
While the Red Cross is mandated by Congressional Charter and the State of New Jersey to respond to disasters, it receives no budget item funding from the government. Instead, it relies on the generosity of local individuals, organizations and businesses to fund Red Cross community services.
The Red Cross Resolutions Gym-A-Thon is a fun way local fitness centers and health clubs can work with their members to raise the resources necessary for Red Cross volunteers to be there when they are needed most.
Participants can sign up at partner fitness centers and gyms, or online at http://www.tricountyredcross.org/gymathon .
The following businesses have already agreed to partner with the Tri-County Red Cross on the Gym-A-Thon:
- LA Fitness Sports Club, 200 New World Way, South Plainfield
- Strength and Fitness Club, 570 E. South Avenue, Cranford
- 5 Star Gym, 233 East 5th Street, Plainfield
- Mountain Fitness, 76 Stirling Road, Suite 400, Warren
- JFK Health & Fitness Center, 70 James Street, Edison
- New Jersey Boot Camps, 209 Dietz Street, Cranford
- Next Steps Fitness, 29 Alden Street, Cranford
- Personal Best, 100 Center Street, Garwood
- Plainfield YMCA, 518 Watchung Avenue, Plainfield
- Power and Fitness, 280 Saint Georges Avenue, Rahway
- Powerhouse Gym of Watchung, 1680 US Route 22 East, Watchung
- RWJ Rahway Fitness & Wellness Center, 2120 Lamberts Mill Rd, Scotch Plains
If you would like to make a donation without participating in the Gym-A-Thon, you can contribute online at www.tricountyredcross.org/donate.html or by calling Corinna at 1-908-756-6414.
Connect with NJTODAY.NET
Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!