Plainfield Man Convicted In Homicide; Robbery Scheme

NEW BRUNSWICK—A Plainfield man was found guilty today of felony murder in the shooting of a South Plainfield man, who was killed during a plot to rob him in his home, Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce J. Kaplan announced.

In addition to felony murder, David Jordan, 38, was convicted of aggravated manslaughter, robbery, burglary, unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, conspiracy to commit a robbery, conspiracy to commit a burglary and two counts of hindering his apprehension by lying to police during their investigation into the slaying April 14, 2008, of Al-Mustafa Rodrigues, 30.


A jury sitting at the Middlesex County Courthouse in New Brunswick deliberated about 3 ½ hours over two days before finding Jordan guilty.

He is facing a life prison term with no chance for parole when he is sentenced December 14, 2009, by Superior Court Judge Bradley Ferencz.

During a trial that began on Sept. 29, Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Thomas D. Carver presented evidence and testimony showing that Jordan and his co-defendant, Antoine Williams, 36, of Elizabeth, planned to rob Rodrigues.

An investigation by Detective James Darby of the South Plainfield Police Department and Investigator Paul Miller of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office determined that Jordan and Williams cut a cable television wire to Mr. Rodrigues’s home, expecting to break in when he stepped outside to find out why service was interrupted.

When Rodrigues failed to appear, the men returned the following day, April 14, 2008. Williams, posing as a cable repairman, was allowed inside and Jordan followed.
Once in the house, the men tried to rob Rodrigues, who drew his own handgun and began struggling with the intruders.

During the struggle, Rodrigues’s weapon fired, and wounded Jordan. Williams fired a shot and struck Rodrigues in the back.

Jordan and Williams then ransacked the house and fled.

Jordan, who later sought medical help for his gunshot wound, falsely told police he was wounded in Newark, and later said he was wounded in Plainfield.

He was arrested and charged on May 28, 2008, after DNA testing matched his blood to blood at the crime scene. He subsequently confessed to his role in the crimes.
No trial date has been set for Williams, who remains in custody.

As is the case with all criminal defendants, Williams is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Connect with NJTODAY.NET

Join NJTODAY.NET's free Email List to receive occasional updates delivered right to your email address!
Email for advertising information Send stuff to NJTODAY.NET Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On Twitter Download this week's issue of NJTODAY.NET
Print Friendly, PDF & Email